tennants cut hedge without permission

tennants cut hedge without permission

Postby scruffydog » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:48 pm

We planted a laurel hedge around 6 years ago and have been patiently waiting for it to grow so that our front garden will be private. For various reasons we are now renting the property out but intend to move back within a year.

I drove past the other day to see that the tennants have chopped 3ft off the height of the whole hedge. When asked why they said they believed it was correct garden maintenance. However, in terms of garden maintenance after 3 months they still haven't cut the front lawn.

What can we do about the hedges as I fear they will take many years to grow back, laurel shouldn't be hacked in this way. My husband wants the tennants to replace the hedge with 6-8 shrubs that haven't been topped to ensure that the hedge will continue to grow.

Can we insist on this?
scruffydog

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: tennants cut hedge without permission

Postby despair » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:56 pm

Laurel has absolutely no trouble growing and in all likelihood will grow with renewed vigour after such drastic pruning

Your tenancy agreement should set out what your tenants are and are not required to do

If they are in serious breach of their rental agreement you may be able to kick them out
despair

Postby hzatph » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:52 am

I agree with this advice. Do you use an agent or let directly - if use an agent talk to them too.
hzatph

Postby arborlad » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:06 pm

scruffydog wrote:. My husband wants the tennants to replace the hedge with 6-8 shrubs that haven't been topped to ensure that the hedge will continue to grow.

Can we insist on this?

In my view it would have to say that specifically in the rental agreement.
arborlad

smile...it confuses people
arborlad

Postby ferdinand2000 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:23 am

SD

You essentially gave them permission to cut the hedge when you rented them the property, unless it was expressly excluded in the agreement or covering letter and you were to agree to maintain it yourself, which was probably the correct step to have taken if it was that important.

Given that laurel usually grows like a weed, it will be most of the way back within a year.

In the circs the practical approach would be to bite your lip, and ask T to allow it to grow back and you will keep it clipped.

For the cost of a change of T (likely a couple of months rent) it is not worth evicting unless a substantive reason exists.

You would be flogging a dead horse and poisoning your T relationship trying to get them to replace it at their expense, since the 'damage' is only temporary and you have no right to betterment.

F
ferdinand2000

Return to Hedges