Disposal of hedge debris - who's responisble?

Re: Disposal of hedge debris - who's responisble?

Postby Anthony Westoby » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:31 pm

COGGY wrote:If the neighbour is cutting off branches that overhang then it my be advisable to agree to dispose of the cut off parts. I appreciate it is his tree but he is being helpful in cutting off the overhang. Many people in his position do not consider the neighbour at all. Maybe chatting over a cup of tea, whilst he is cutting, may encourage him to help dispose of the cuttings. Good neighbours are worth their weight in gold. We have one good and one bad (neighbours not trees).

COGGY

Yes I couldn't agree more (about good neighbours) (and I concur too about the bad ones) I see we've got the usual battle once again between Treeman, Aorborlad and Despair.

I really don't know where Arborlad is coming from, it may surprise him to find that I can also read.

Treeman,

Does Laurel wood make good (large) wooden spoons?

TonyW.
Anthony Westoby

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Postby Treeman » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:40 pm

Anthony Westoby wrote:Treeman,

TonyW.

You know I think it does, I will get one made for you, there is a nice smell of almonds to laurel, I think it's the cyanide compounds it contains :D
Treeman

Postby Treeman » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:45 pm

despair wrote:I am well aware that deciduos hedging will grow back after hard pruning as will Laurel however if the latter has been allowed to get out of hand and produce thick trunks and branches it can look a B awful mess for quite a long time

Conifers of course simply will not respond to being cut back into brown wood

How long though? Within a season it will have a whole new set of bright green lush foliage, for best results cut in jan feb to avoid nesting birds and by August sept you will have a fully clad bush again.

General pruning advice given in the interest of horticulture and no other reason
Treeman

Postby Anthony Westoby » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:41 pm

Treeman wrote:
Anthony Westoby wrote:Treeman,

TonyW.

You know I think it does, I will get one made for you, there is a nice smell of almonds to laurel, I think it's the cyanide compounds it contains :D

Treeman,
I didn't know about the poison (in the laurel) being cyanide but I did know it is a poisonous plant if eaten by animals, as is taxus baccata, in fact, not so very long ago, a young lad in this city made a pot of tea with taxus, drank it and died!
Good job we don't keep grazing animals in the 'burbs'

To keep on the Op's subject, it seems to me he should either complain about his neighbours trees, or adversely, be very grateful the man is keen to keep them maintained.

TonyW.
Anthony Westoby

Postby Mattylad » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:02 pm

IMO I think the neighbor should be told plainly and clearly that anything he chops off of his trees - he must dispose of it and not leave it in the OP's garden.

Permission to do this via the OP's property should be refused if he does not confirm that he agrees to this and will remove them himself.

His trees, his responsibility to remove them.

This is not like the many cases where someone wants to trim a neighbours trees and then a big discussion ensues about removing the arising's.
Mattylad

Postby hzatph » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:10 pm

Mattylad wrote:IMO I think the neighbor should be told plainly and clearly that anything he chops off of his trees - he must dispose of it and not leave it in the OP's garden.

Permission to do this via the OP's property should be refused if he does not confirm that he agrees to this and will remove them himself.

This is not like the many cases where someone wants to trim a neighbours trees and then a big discussion ensues about removing the arising's.

+1
hzatph

Postby Anthony Westoby » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:44 am

hzatph wrote:
Mattylad wrote:IMO I think the neighbor should be told plainly and clearly that anything he chops off of his trees - he must dispose of it and not leave it in the OP's garden.

+1
hzatph,

I concur and so did despair about three years ago so is that +3?
(Until she was rudely interrupted.)

TonyW.
Anthony Westoby

Postby Sudynim » Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:00 pm

He might then say "OK, I won't bother pruning them after all". The OP may be pleased with this result, or he may then have to carry out the work himself (and dispose of the debris). So the most significant question is whether the OP wishes to see the pruning take place, perhaps.
Sudynim

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Previous

Return to Hedges