Bamboo

Bamboo

Postby Moonlight » Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:37 pm

I want to plant some Bamboos at the bottom of my garden in front of my existing boundry hedge and would like to know to what height I can legally allow them to grow?

Thanks Moonlight.
Moonlight

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Postby despair » Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:55 pm

Bamboo do not currently and are unlikely ever to come under the umbrella of the High hedge Law

So plant your bamboo and enjoy
despair

Postby Conveyancer » Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:57 pm

Are bamboos evergreen in the UK? I know they are in SE Asia. If they are evergreen and you grow them in a hedge they will be subject to the high hedges legislation. You can grow them to any height you like until a neighbour complains when they are over 2 metres if they are a barrier to light. Given the nature of bamboo it would be an interesting question if "one" would be capable of forming a hedge. If it is not classed as an evergreen then it can grow as high as you like.
Conveyancer

Postby despair » Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:41 pm

While Bamboo is evergreen I understand its been directly excluded from all the discussion at OPDM on High Hedges so far and theres no intention in the forseable future of it being included

right now theres very little progress on even horrendous Leylandii Hedges so dont hold your breath waiting for any extention to a law that simply wont work
despair

Postby HonestTree » Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:48 pm

The only vegetation that can be controlled within the High Hedge Regulation are trees and shrubs within evergreen or semi evergreen hedges. Bamboo being a grass was not considered at the time the legislation was hurriedly drawn up! :lol:

Bamboo grows fantastically well in the UK (England) and is evergreen or everblack deepening on the species you go for! Some might even consider it a weed because once you have got it in you will have to try very hard to get rid of it! :roll:

If I were you I would plant the black stuff Phyllostachys nigra if you change your mind and wish to get rid it this one is not as rampant!

Why not go for the whole Japanese look with grave, stones, water and few Japanese maples. :P
HonestTree

Bamboo

Postby Moonlight » Sun Oct 16, 2005 8:21 pm

Thanks everyone for the advice and info. I already have two large Bamboo plants in large tubs and I just love them. I really like the way they sway in the breeze and the lighter shades of Green really brighten up even the dullest corner. The ones that I want to plant in front of the hedge will be going in the ground so I think I will take HonestTrees' kind advice and go for the Nigra, but I won't be going for the whole Japanese bit as my garden is a lot more, err........ natural :D

Moonlight.
Moonlight

Disputes

Postby CH4 Doc » Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:47 pm

Hello there

I am trying to spread the word about a helpful new show I am working on that helps people negotiate the legal mind field of neighbourly disputes. If you know anyone who might benefit please pass on the details. Thank you.

CONTACT
neighbour@mentorn.tv
0207 258 6763
CH4 Doc

Postby fatsia » Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:03 am

Hi

This has given me some hope. Sorry I don't know anything about bamboo but love the look. How fast do they grow? Do they need loads of sunlight? My garden is east facing. I need to plant something at the back of my border that will grow quickly to a height of about 10 foot to hide an eyesore of an extension.

Not that I care but the neighbours won't lose any light as two entire kitchen walls are made of glass....

Thanks

F
fatsia

Postby despair » Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:40 pm

If i remember right you need Phylostachys aurea

it will grow to 10 ft given good compost and moisture
despair

Re: Bamboo

Postby Yoda » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:42 pm

Hello,
I wonder if you can help me?
My mum has an evergreen hedge in her front garden.
A rather high hedge :wink:
She has been ordered by the council to reduce it to 2.25m.
No issues there, if that is the law, she has to do it.
But, she has a bamboo in it. Sort of integral. I think that "they" ought to cut the hedge to the correct height, but not the bamboo.
The council seem to be saying that mum has to cut the bamboo down to 2.25m as well as it is "part of" the hedge. It grows through the hedge.
But when I checked the law, 4.9, it says bamboo is not included, as you say above as well.
If they forced mum or if they took the law into their own hands and cut the bamboo down as well as the hedge would they be breaking the law / causing criminal damage?

Any ideas and thoughts?
Thanks in advance.
Yoda, from another place :wink: :lol:
Yoda

Postby TO » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:21 pm

Hi Yoda

I assume your mother has been subject to a high hedge complaint, which has been upheld and a Remedial Notice served and accepted, or appealed, but whatever, the final outcome is the reduction of the hedge to 2.25m.

As Bamboo is not a tree or shrub, evergreen, semi-evergreen or otherwise, but a grass, and outwith the scope of the legislation, and cannot form a hedge, and by default part thereof, I would consider that it does not have to be cut down to 2.25m in accordance with the Remedial Notice, as do the evergreen or semi-evergreen trees or shrubs that actually comprise the hedge.

Who are the
Yoda wrote:"they"
that you think should cut the hedge. It is for your Mum to comply with the Remedial Notice and cut the hedge. If she doesn't she could be prosecuted, and the Local Authority could do the work and send your mum the bill.

Even if the Bamboo was cut by a third party, and was accepted as criminal damage by the Police, what do you think they would do about it? Would the Courts really be that bothered, after all the Law doesn't deal in trifles.

If the Remedial Notice actually states that the Bamboo should be cut down, and you still have time to appeal, appeal. If the appeal deadline has been missed, and the Local Authority still insist that the Bamboo should be cut down, complain, and if necessary complain to the Ombudsman,

My advice would be cut the hedge yourself and save the Bamboo, then argue the case later if necessary.

TO
TO

Postby Yoda » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:56 pm

They are mum / the hedge cutting people etc etc.
Yes, mum has had the remedial notice served and she appealed, failed. That was a few years ago. She was probably one of the first!
The bamboo was not even there at the time.
Mum put it there after the notice was handed out.

It sounds like the bamboo is safe enough...

Between you and me, I would cut the hedge down quite a lot and keep the bamboo and let it do what it wanted, within reason. Would save a lot of hassle etc etc. Plenty of light can pass it as well, and mum would have her height legally.

Well, that's mums for you.
Thanks for the info.
Yoda

Postby TO » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:17 pm

hi Yoda

The Remedial Notice relates to the complaint hedge, not something that comes after. So for example, you remove the hedge to which the Remedial Notice applies, and plant a new hedge of 3m high Leylandi on the same line as the previous hedge. The Remedial Notice would not apply to this new hedge as it is not the same hedge to which the Remedial Notice applied.

Therefore, as you say
Yoda wrote:The bamboo was not even there at the time.
the Remedial Notice cannot apply.

TO
TO

Postby despair » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:02 am

I feel sorry for the neighbours if the Remedial notice was served a few years ago and despite a failed appeal your Mother has not cut her hedge

No wonder some people get called NFH
despair

Postby Clifford Pope » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:10 pm

Bamboo spreads by sending out suckers and establishing new clumps many yards from the original. It will march unstoppably across your own garden and also into your neighbour's. You have been warned!
Clifford Pope

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Next

Return to Hedges