Neighbour cutting our hedge

Neighbour cutting our hedge

Postby liberalgreenlefty » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:07 pm

Our neighbour has instructed a gardener to cut her side of the hedge that separates our gardens. She has also asked him to cut the top of our hedge too. I've just come home to see our hedge and privacy chopped right back and I had cuttings over our lawn.
Can she do this? I'm so cross. I've since thrown the cuttings back to her; she didn't think twice of the mess she'd cause so I'm returning the thought.
What can I do to stop the harridan from doing this again?
Thanks,
LGL
liberalgreenlefty

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Neighbour cutting our hedge

Postby cloudyeyes » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:31 pm

If the hedge is encroaching into her land, she can cut it back to the boundary line but no further. Theoretically, the prunings belong to you so she should offer them to you and if you refuse them, then she should dispose of them. She should not have cut the top of the hedge without your permission. What kind of hedge is it - privet, evergreen etc and how tall is it? Has it been allowed to grow unchecked?
cloudyeyes

Postby liberalgreenlefty » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:10 pm

It is a privet hedge. She cuts it back in the spring and wants us to do the same. Following a right carry-on last year, we no longer get ours cut when she does hers; I'm afraid there is only so much give and take we are prepared to do and are conscious that we do not want to pander to her every whim. Besides, we like the hedge bushier as it provides refuge for the birds with the outrageous amount of cats we have passing through.
We are looking into the legal boundary rights ready for spring (groan) but I seem to think it is her hedge; in any case, the growth on our side is surely ours to do as we wish. I'm assuming the boundary line is down the middle of the hedge but I suspect this is wishful thinking. If it is her hedge, surely I've just returned the clippings to their rightful owner? If these clippings are part of our hedge side, she had no business cutting it back in the first place!
Thanks for showing an interest.
LGL
liberalgreenlefty

Postby liberalgreenlefty » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:54 pm

oh...

The hedge is hers. I checked the boundary. Surely her hedge, her clippings right?
liberalgreenlefty

Postby Mojisola » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:59 pm

Her hedge - she can decide on the height and can cut her side back but shouldn't do it during the nesting season.

You can leave your side to grow as you like.

It's almost impossible to stop some of the trimmings falling into the next door's garden. You can ask if she wants them back but throwing them into her garden is likely to inflame the situation.
Mojisola

Postby liberalgreenlefty » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:05 pm

Mojisola wrote:Her hedge - she can decide on the height and can cut her side back but shouldn't do it during the nesting season.

You can leave your side to grow as you like.

It's almost impossible to stop some of the trimmings falling into the next door's garden. You can ask if she wants them back but throwing them into her garden is likely to inflame the situation.

That's great. Thank you so much for your help. Inflammation aside, as it is her hedge, shouldn't she have at least asked us if we would want her gardener to clean up his mess? It strikes me as polite.

She's also trimmed the neighbours hedge two doors down; they haven't asked for it either!
liberalgreenlefty

Return to Hedges