Neighbours hedge, he cuts it, tho clippings appr to be ours!

Neighbours hedge, he cuts it, tho clippings appr to be ours!

Postby dafttart1 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:20 pm

Quick question I hope:

Neighbour owns hedge inbetween our property.

Hedge is planted on neighbours property.

Neighbour 'tops' hedge, yet appears all clippings end in our alleyway. Neighbour would have had to enter OUR garden (without our permission) for him to top a certain part of it.

I push clippings into his alley in pile for him as HIS clippings.

4th time this has happened - 3 previous times I have had room in the garden waste bin so have put them in - but thought this was very unreasonable this time.

As HE cut HIS bush, yet HIS clippings end up in our alley why should WE have to dispose of them. He clearly didnt like the neat pile I left as he threw them over the hedge hitting our property.

I know for A FACT if we had topped the hedge, and had left all the clippings in his garden, then I know they'd be thrown back into our garden - quite clearly a case of he cant have his cake and eat it.
dafttart1

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Neighbours hedge, he cuts it, tho clippings appr to be o

Postby cloudyeyes » Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:53 pm

Have you spoken to him about it? The best way to resolve an issue like this is by discussion and compromise. Do you maintain your side of the hedge and top - perhaps he wants you to do your share if you get the benefit of his hedge? You won't know unless you ask him. It's much better to reach an amicable agreement than to be at war - minor issues like this can spiral completely out of control and make everyone's lives miserable.
cloudyeyes

Postby dafttart1 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:10 pm

Hi,

I found another post on here a few pages down saying that as a person who owned the hedge on their property had left waste on another person's property it is fine to return clippings as they have left waste on another persons property - this is exactly the same situation and is why I returned his clippings - I didnt cut his hedge, all the clippings were from his side of the boundary.

We do maintain our side/top of the hedge, we have to if we want any chance of walking in the gate or down the alley with the vigour it grows - if it's because he feels we do not maintain it as much as he would like (because we work full time and he's retired) then I'd be quite happy for him to come round and maintain both sides if the hedge means that much to him.

I think talking to him is not really an option, especially about the hedge after witnessing him throwing the clippings over the hedge hitting our property with some vigour, I dont want to be threatened, I think he just doesnt like us because we're young! (well younger than him anyway!)
dafttart1

Postby cloudyeyes » Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:29 pm

So what outcome do you want from this and how are you going to make it happen without talking to him?
cloudyeyes

Postby dafttart1 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:08 pm

What I'd like to know is that I'm correct in thinking because it's his hedge planted on his property and clipped his side (as the top is on his side) that he shouldnt have acted like a kid throwing his toys outta the pram by throwing back his clippings which I had pushed back into his garden in a pile.

I think this man is old enough to know what's right from wrong and do not see why I should have to talk to him about this, especially after seeing clearly how much of an angry person he is, I do not, and should not, have to put myself into a situation whereby I feel intimidated.
dafttart1

Postby cloudyeyes » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:11 pm

He shouldn't have put the clippings back on your property. Does knowing that make it any more likely that he won't do it again next time?

There are an awful lot of people who don't maintain their hedges and blight the gardens and lives of their neighbours with out of control monstrosities. Clearing up a few clippings once or twice a year seems a small price to pay to have a nicely maintained hedge. Do you benefit from the hedge i.e. does it provide a secure boundary for your property on one side?
cloudyeyes

Postby dafttart1 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:10 pm

Hi Cloudyeyes,

It does make me feel better as at least I know we've done nothing wrong, but he has. I know I may sound a bit OTT about this, but it's more the fact if we had done what he did, then he certainly wouldnt put up with it and the clippings would end up in our alley. I would have thought a chap with all his 'wisdom' and 'experience' of life and owning properties would be well aware about boundary issues.

To be honest I wouldnt mind if this hedge was actually a bit taller as we'd then have a bit more privacy from them and security for us (as it is a boundary between the front gardens).

I wouldnt mind so much if it was 'just a few clippings' but the times that I have 'bit my tongue' and put our brown garden waste bin it's basically filled it over half way and then cant fit all the waste from our own garden.Decided I'm not going to do anything about it, as he clearly wouldnt listen even if we did talk to him about it, but just sweep the clippings (albeit there is an awful lot of them) up against the wire fence and just let them rot naturally ... mainly as we have no room in our brown bin!
dafttart1

Postby cloudyeyes » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:49 pm

He probably does know about boundary issues but would appear to be making some kind of point to you. Perhaps it's about not keeping your side of the hedge cut as you mentioned, perhaps it's about something else as relations between you seem to be strained. To paraphrase Churchill "To jaw-jaw is always better than to war-war" - sound advice!
cloudyeyes

Postby dafttart1 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:55 pm

Ha! Well I can probably tell you why that is, and that's because we've got cats (and he clearly doesnt like them, or any other cats in the area, so takes other things out on us, like the hedge, loud music and other noises!). We do maintain the hedge, to be honest it didnt really need the hack it's had in my opinion. It''s seen in our front garden so why would we want an untidy hedge, working full time, cutting the hedge isnt always top priority at the weekends :)
dafttart1

Postby cloudyeyes » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:09 pm

Well, I'm with him on the cat thing but that's a whole different subject altogether.

If you want to solve the hedge issue permanently, cut your side right back to your boundary line and put up a 2m close-boarded fence hard up against the boundary (NB you have to restrict the height to 1m adjacent to the highway). No more hedge to cut on your side, no more tresspass on your land, no more clippings and complete privacy.
cloudyeyes

Postby dafttart1 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:15 pm

... I know what you mean about the cats, not everyone likes them and we appreciate that (although I will just say that it's not true that cats dont dump in their owners garden ... I know from experience! ).

Believe me ... I'd love to put a fence up, I agree that would solve the problem ... but we rent the property, not sure what the LL would think if we did it (although we cant really afford to do that, we know they'd not put a fence up for us as nothings broken). I think it's just a case of I'm damned if I do and damned if I dont with this one.

I do appreciate your opinon on this matter.
dafttart1

Postby despair » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:27 pm

Good gardeners and responsible hedge owners ensure their plants do not invade other neighbours spaces and have the common decency to cut all sides and top of the hedge and clear away all the debris

So i would tell the neighbour this in no uncertain terms

His hedges his clippings his problem
despair

Postby catapult1 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:02 pm

As you feel you can't talk to him face to face I would drop a note through his door. Something along the lines of.....

There seems to be a missunderstanding about the clippings from your hedge that you are leaving on my path. I understand that the hedge is yours on your property and as I maintaine my side and dispose of the clippings myself I don't feel it is appropriate that you leave your clippings for me to dispose of.

Although in the past I have had room in my green bin to accomodate the ones you have left, I have found it rather difficult at times and would prefer that you would dispose of your clippings yourself rather than drop them on my path.

If I have room I will more than likely be able to help you dispose of your clippings but would obviously need to know that you intend to prune/trim your hedge in advance so that I can see if I can help or not.

Or something like that.
My answers are not of a legal nature, only what I consider to be common sense.
catapult1

Postby RDF Jess » Fri May 29, 2015 12:28 pm

Hi, my name is Jess and I’m a Researcher at RDF Television.

I’m currently working on a new documentary for ITV exploring a variety of issues people can face in their garden and or around their home including boundary disputes, nuisances next door, infestations, pests and weeds, sinkholes, erosion and flooding.

It would be great to have a chat with you and tell you more about the programme.

If you’re interested in finding out more please call Jess on 0207 013 4076.
RDF Jess

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Return to Hedges