problem hedge

problem hedge

Postby snoops2306 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:49 pm

Hi all, I originally wrote about his back in April but i'm re posting due to the fact I need more advice.
ok so I have a large hedge running the length of my boundary with my neighbours property. The hedge is NOT my boundary it's my neighbours and there is no dispute to this. However I want to get rid of it but my neighbour doesn't. It comes over my side about 1-2 foot and I previously asked where I stood as to cutting it back. I have talked to my neighbour but he wants to keep it with is annoying as he doesn't maintain it and it's so thick. So I think i'm left with only 1 option and that is to cut it back to my boundary and put up a fence. I have made a very reasonable offer to the neighbour and that was we would get rid of the hedge and put up the new fence and we would do all the work and split the cost which I thought was very reasonable considering it's not my boundary! But he still won't agree. I accept it's his prerogative. So again I ask can I do this and i'm worried when cutting the hedge back this much it will kill it. Where do I stand? I think it's leyandi? We've already over cut it and it's now brown in places and won't grow back so looks awful. will it be physically possible to put up a fence because of the roots?? Please advise??
snoops2306

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: problem hedge

Postby appledore » Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:41 pm

If it's your neighbour's hedge and he wants to keep it there's nothing you can do about it. All you can do is cut it back to the boundary and erect a fence on your own property. If the hedge is leylandii and you cut it back to brown wood it won't look very nice, but it shouldn't do it any harm. We erected a fence next to a leylandii hedge last year without any problem.
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Return to Hedges