hedge trimming problem

Re: hedge trimming problem

Postby Mojisola » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:14 am

Glassman1964 wrote:Ok, so if by law i have to return the clippings to the owner, how do i do it without it being trespass?

You don't have to. You can offer them back but the neighbour can refuse them.
Mojisola

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Postby Glassman1964 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:37 am

The point i am making is that the hedge is the neighbours, the waste clippings are the neighbours, and they actually trespass onto my land to make the mess in the first place, and now it looks like i can do nothing?
Well the clippings are going over as stated in a bag, if they want to kick off i am sure i have had more inconvienience and trespass than placing a couple of bags of waste on their land, so i am willing to let them do whatever they want, but i refuse to be treat in this way anymore, obviously i have had alot of advice from the forum and i thank everyone for their input, but some of it is totally conflicting, and as such i have to decide the best and possibly the only way forward, as i refuse to use or pay for solicitors.
Many Thanks
Glassman1964

Postby mugwump » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:33 am

From my layman's point of view. If the gardener is working on behalf of the neighbour then the gardener AND ultimately the neighbour are responsible for making good after the work by removing the clippings and I see no reason why they can not just be returned to them without trespass or fly tipping coming into the equation
mugwump

Postby Glassman1964 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:09 pm

Well the deed is done. I have gathered, bagged, and delivered, all very neatly parcelled up, with before and after photos, so come what may! I will talk to her gardener and tell him i want the mess cleared in future and taken away, or no more access for their convienience.
I feel much better now! Many Thanks to all regards Geoff
Glassman1964

Postby katee » Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:21 pm

Glassman1964 wrote: but she has specifically told him not to remove the clippings, and she watches to make sure he doesn't, so i can't blame him,

Methinks the gardener needs to grow a pair! :lol:

Proper job my bewties................................................. Cheers 'n' gone!
katee

Postby arborlad » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:08 pm

Glassman1964 wrote:........... she has specifically told him not to remove the clippings,

Very strange, one has to wonder what has transpired to evoke that sort of reaction.

Glassman1964 wrote: i just hate coming home to walked on plants and clippings all over the garden and the path,

How does he get access to your land, is it front or back garden, how much notice do you get?

You shouldn't have to suffer any damage at all to your plants, upturned flowerpots or dustbins should protect them, some dust sheets make the clear-up easier.
arborlad

smile...it confuses people
arborlad

Postby Glassman1964 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:52 pm

arborlad wrote:
Glassman1964 wrote:........... she has specifically told him not to remove the clippings,

Very strange, one has to wonder what has transpired to evoke that sort of reaction.

Because many years ago she told the builder working on her property to put the scaffolding on our land. no notice, no permission, and they literally tramped all over my garden with the scaffolding, so i flipped and made them remove it, this is why.

Glassman1964 wrote: i just hate coming home to walked on plants and clippings all over the garden and the path,

How does he get access to your land, is it front or back garden, how much notice do you get?

You shouldn't have to suffer any damage at all to your plants, upturned flowerpots or dustbins should protect them, some dust sheets make the clear-up easier.

He just comes through the gate, no protection whatsoever, he just cuts it and leaves it where it drops, on top of plants, whatever, no respect, just walks on the plants, but he has done it for the last time now!
Glassman1964

Postby despair » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:30 pm

Put a lock on your gate

It will be an added security measure too
despair

Postby Glassman1964 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:18 pm

despair wrote:Put a lock on your gate

It will be an added security measure too

Not an option as to the layout there are plenty of ways over the boundry without coming through the gate, and we would get no post that way, please don't worry, i can stop them if i want to, i just wanted to know what i can do legally, and now that i have done it i am taking the bull by the horns, i will put a stop to it once and for all.
Glassman1964

Postby Midori » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:46 pm

I would suggest that you write a letter to your neighbour withdrawing permission for her gardener to come onto your garden until he is prepared to make good any damage or mess he makes.

The letter doesn't have to be nasty, just pointing out that you expect some respect for allowing him access to clip her hedge, and that you will no longer allow access, and by causing damage to your plants he is causing damage that you will subsequently charge her for.
Midori

Postby Fairperson » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:34 pm

Hi,
I don't think that you are obliged to permit entry to your neighbour or her gardener to trim your side of her hedge.
Since she has not be considerate in the past, i think that i would speak with her gardener, explaining that you no longer grant permission of entry onto your land - maybe over a cuppa with him.
Then, I would carefully trim your side to the boundary line, each year, whilst not making any reduction in height.
I would just dispose of the trimmings.

If your neighbour objected, i would put in writing (keeping a copy) a letter declining further access,
and placing the bagged trimmings where she could pick them up easily, but not on her property e.g. where you might leave rubbish/recycling for collection.

FP
Fairperson

Postby COGGY » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:36 pm

Hi

Has the neighbour responded yet to receiving her clippings back? Please keep us informed. I would definitely not advise putting a fence close to the hedge. The neighbours behind us (a lovely couple) have a hedge which they keep trimmed at about six feet or slightly more. When we moved here our house had a wooden fence next to the hedge and the hedge did cause damage to the fence. We now have a brick wall, merely so that we do not have to keep cutting the hedge. The neighbour did offer to send his gardener round to cut our side and we did offer to wait for him to remove his hedge if he wished before the wall was built. The hedge and the wall are now living quite happily together. His gardener cuts the top of the hedge and we do not have to cut anything. The wall and hedge have been together for about 10 years. :D
COGGY

Postby hzatph » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:53 pm

arborlad wrote:
Glassman1964 wrote: So if i gather up the waste and bag it up properly and place it on the neighbours land (without trespass) is this acceptable by law?.

No, that would be a trespass. You don't have to set foot on their land for there to be a trespass - placing a bag there without their consent is sufficient.

Don't be misled by despair!

+1 If it were me I would stop the gardener and sort out my own hedge cutting. It is unacceptable and you are being walked over. Talk to the gardener and ask him to desist. make your own arrangements.
hzatph

Postby despair » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:34 pm

The OPs first post does say

" i dont really want to start cutting a hedge i dont own "

Hence some kind of fence or barrier needs to be installed to stop the hedge coming onto the OPs land
despair

Postby arborlad » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:18 pm

despair wrote:

seems to me that a fence installed by the OP tight up to the hedge is best way to stop the problem

Glassman1964 wrote:
I dont think this would serve any purpose at all, in fact i think this would aggrevate the problem,

despair wrote:
Hence some kind of fence or barrier needs to be installed to stop the hedge coming onto the OPs land

:roll: :roll:
arborlad

smile...it confuses people
arborlad

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

PreviousNext

Return to Hedges