Neighbour disposed of hedge & erected a fence

Neighbour disposed of hedge & erected a fence

Postby barbershop0 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:18 pm

Hi all
I have read a few threads on here and wonder if anyone can give some advice to my parents.

My grandparents purchased a house in approx 1966, they have subsequently passed away and the property is empty (has been for approx 8 years) and belongs to my mother.

In approx 1975 my grandad planted a beech hedge between their property and the adjoining neighbour.
The neighbours house was sold to an Australian couple approx 2 years ago. This couple pruned their side of the hedge well back in order to fit a car up the drive.

This couple have moved back to Australia and the house in now up for sale.

About 1 month ago a builder offered my mother £2500 to purchase 9 inches of land in order to erect a fence and remove the hedge between the properties. My mother refused as she didn't want to sell any of her land. She has this offer in writing.

About 2 weeks ago the beech hedge was removed and a fence was erected about 36 inches into my mother's garden.

My mother instructed me to erect a fence on the correct boundary line and I began erecting fence posts on the correct boundary line. I had erected about 3 posts and then a rather large builder arrived and pulled the posts out. I called the police in order to protect my own safety.

I had marked the line with string in order that I didn't enchroach onto the neighbours land. The police stated that this was a civil matter and that both parties should seek legal advice, during which time the disputed area was declared by the police as "no man's land" and no further action would be taken by the police.

My parent's are in their 70's and can do without this hassle, but wondered if anyone could give me any advice?

Many thanks in advance.
barbershop0

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Neighbour disposed of hedge & erected a fence

Postby span » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:52 pm

That "no-man's-land" is nice handy advice for the police. Problems stop whilst the issue is resolved.

Get your fence up anyway.
span

Postby despair » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:54 pm

Check your parents house insurance for legal expenses cover
despair

Postby kipper » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:44 pm

Make a claim on the builder via small claims court for cost of reinstatement of mature beech hedge?
kipper

Postby sadone » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:35 pm

I know this is quite an old topic, but did you ever resolve it?
sadone

Postby RDF Jess » Fri May 29, 2015 12:29 pm

Hi, my name is Jess and I’m a Researcher at RDF Television.

I’m currently working on a new documentary for ITV exploring a variety of issues people can face in their garden and or around their home including boundary disputes, nuisances next door, infestations, pests and weeds, sinkholes, erosion and flooding.

It would be great to have a chat with you and tell you more about the programme.

If you’re interested in finding out more please call Jess on 0207 013 4076.
RDF Jess

Return to Hedges