hedge boundary

hedge boundary

Postby linbar » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:34 am

The boundary between my neighbours garden and mine is marked by a privet hedge . The neighbours house has been empty for about 5 years . I have kept my side of the hedge trimmed but the other side is badly overgrown . It is now about 2 meters wide and about 3 meters high on my neighbours side and looks very bad from my bedroom window . On the rare occasion the owner of next door visited the house I asked about the hedge . His reply was the hedge was his and he would cut it , he never does .
The facts are , the hedge was planted by a previous owner on my side of the boundary , on the land registry plan the boundary in question has the T mark on my neighbours side .
Who does the hedge belong to ?
If it is me can I dictate how it is cut ?
It is likely to need costly professional help to bring the overgrown hedge back to normal , who will have to pay ?
linbar

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: hedge boundary

Postby Land Registry rep » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:15 pm

Take a look at our online FAQs around boundaries http://www.landregistry.gov.uk/public/faqs#boundary
The T marking will be relevant and should be referred to on the register itself if it is shown on the title plan. The online information explains a little more around such markings and what they can mean and should provide a better understanding of the issues around boundaries from purely a land registration perspective.

Your statement that the hedge was planted on your side of the boundary may bring other issues to bear though on how you interpret the position of the boundary and what can be done re the hedge. Is there another structure to indicate the fact that the hedge was planted inside the boundary line for example?

The other ?s may be ones other posters are able to answer
Land Registry rep

Return to Hedges