My Hedge on neighbour's boundary

My Hedge on neighbour's boundary

Postby JabberUK » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:59 am

The boundary between my neighbour and I has a hedge which I planted because the neighbour did not want anything but we wanted a little privacy.

My neighbour's attitude is that it is my hedge so I should cut it.

I don't have a massive issue with this but would like to know where I stand legally on this? Any ideas?

My hedge on neighbour's boundary....who should cut it?
JabberUK

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: My Hedge on neighbour's boundary

Postby despair » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:41 am

Good gardeners always cut the neighbours side of their hedge

If you want good relations with your neighbour I suggest you arrange to cut it

Legally the neighbour can cut back every leaf/twig/branch and root to the boundary and offer back the arisings which you can decline leaving them to dispose
If they are bloody minded they can tip the lot into your garden and theres little you can do

You choose what you think is the best way forward
despair

Postby JabberUK » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:53 am

I am not looking for trouble, just wondering what the rules are.

If for example, I only cut my side, could they neighbour give me a bill for having their side cut etc?
JabberUK

Postby appledore » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:21 pm

As it's your hedge I think you should offer to cut the neighbour's side. However, if you don't cut it I don't think there's anything they can do about it.
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:40 am

You don't have to cut back, but remember if you give them free rein over your hedge on their side, they could massacre it. Try taking them to court and you will get little sympathy for giving them a job to each year which they didn't choose to have.

I think it is neighbourly to cut back for them.
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby hzatph » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:40 am

They can cut their side - you cut the top (and so determine the height) and your side.

If you want to offer to cut their side then by all means do so, but expect to dispose of the clippings too. It is not clear if despair is advocating trespass, but don't cut their side without permission or agreement and do so at a time agreeable to them.
hzatph

Return to Hedges