Hedge wars

Re: Hedge wars

Postby COGGY » Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:52 pm

It is illegal to have CCTV overlooking a neighbour's property, so Sadone should be perfectly secure in his own garden. Properly installed for security CCTV overlooks the boundary of a property plus as much or little of the garden as required.

Amongst other things it prevents anyone from coming onto your property without being seen. When installed openly for all to see it prevents anyone tampering with bins or sorting through salvage put out for collection. It protects garden furniture from interference and miraculously it prevents apple cores etc from appearing regularly in the garden. It also protects plants from being sprayed with weed killer. This is not me being paronoid as it is also possible to make a video of what is shown on the CCTV, including someone trying to hook one of the cameras.

You are correct Nothingtodowithme, I am a fan of CCTV as we have found it protects our property.

Kind regards
Coggy
COGGY

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Postby COGGY » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:23 pm

Hi Sadone

I hope you are not feeling sad now. :roll: I hope you are aware that your neighbour is not entitled to aim his CCTV over your property. It can only be across the boundary and I do not think you will be standing there much. :lol: Anything else and you should report him.

Kind regards

Coggy
COGGY

Postby MacadamB53 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:49 pm

Hi sadone,

All his antics you describe must be thoroughly annoying for his neighbours. The amazing thing is he likely doesn't give that any thought in the same way you or I would.

"we said it's because we were in the garden."

It wasn't - it was because he's a goon. Your house could be empty and he'd act the same.

Kind regards, Mac
PS this post was written purely for the benefit of your nerves/mental health - I don't know you or your neighbour from Adam, but I sense you're letting his behaviour drive you to distraction...
MacadamB53

Postby stufe35 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:06 pm

Sadone, your neighbour continues to display classic NPD behaviour, as does mine. Banging around making loud noises in the garden...oh yes I know it so well...you have my greatest sympathy, I know how hard it is to deal with..but remember the golden rule...ignore ignore ignore....he is trying to get a reaction from you, don't give him it.

As for CCTV, I have it installed covertly, simply to protect myself from the serious threats that I am occasionally faced with, I always have my mobile phone on voice record, and by overlaying the sound onto the CCTV files I now have a collection of horror videos, stored for the day I need them as evidence. But as a CCTV owner let me assure you not to be intimidated by it. Consider the fact it runs 24/7, my system plays back at 4x normal speed. I'm at work 12 hrs a day, do you think I come home and watch 4 hrs of CCTV ? Sorry I have a life ! When I first got it yes I spent a lot of time watching, but over time I now just check it's still working every third day or so, and it sits there in the background should I need the evidence. So don't worry about it and don't let it bother you...watching it is very boring, if you're doing nothing illegal you have nothing to worry about...and think on if he does something illegal it will be on tape too....just tell the coppers chances are they'll seize it.

A question to other members if the forum, I do not believe it is illegal to have CCTV which overlooks your neighbours, my understanding is in this country if you have a legal right to be stood where you are, you are allowed to photograph/video from that position.....unless specifically prohibited by the landowner such as in museums.
The only way it can be illegal is if it can be proved to be harassment, such as if it were aimed directly at a bedroom window perhaps. Anyone out there able to confirm ?

Cheers. Stu
stufe35

Postby COGGY » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:18 pm

Hi

Our CCTV will play at a much higher speed, However after having it for well over a year my other half discovered it can be set to identify movement in specific areas. Therefore he need only look at the list of times it tells us movement occurred within the given areas. This makes it really quick and easy to check any action within the chosen areas. Things still occur which we would not have known about otherwise, but then he just records it on a pen drive. Like you Stu we have some interesting recordings, which may come in useful.

Regards
Coggy
COGGY

Postby MacadamB53 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:25 pm

Hi stu,

my understanding is in this country if you have a legal right to be stood where you are

If I stood out the front of your house (I assume your not surrounded by private land) and stared and stared and stared and stared and stared you'd be picking the phone up after maybe a couple of hours to have the police move me on.

Kind regards, Mac
edit: the bit in bold is your words
Last edited by MacadamB53 on Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MacadamB53

Postby stufe35 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:35 pm

Coggy, yes mine has the movement thing to, but I dare not risk it not being on at the time I need it, you can vary the sensitivity and area it detects, but because of trees moving in the wind I just daren't risk it.

Mac , yes I probably would phone the police, but it don't think it alters the truth in what I have written earlier ? We are on about a camera, not a person.
stufe35

Postby MacadamB53 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:43 pm

Hi stu,

We are on about a camera, not a person.

You're on about both.

You're justification for pointing an automated camera 24/7 at your neighbour's property is you could do it in person with a hand-held camera without a problem.

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Postby COGGY » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:24 pm

Hi Stu

Yes our cameras (3) are on 24/7. They record everything they "see" but by setting the times for movement in given areas we can check it easily. At least my husband checks it, twice a day and it does not take long. Ours also records movement of plants and trees and sun shine etc. By setting the area we are mainly interested in it will only list movement in that area. Thus if a cat walks by it is recorded by the camera but we are not interested in the cat so that movement is not listed. We were unsure to start with but this method has proved really good. It means that if someone came over the boundary then because the boudary is in the set area that would be recorded, then when checking we would see everything that was done in view of the camera. This also means that we are aware of activity at one o'clock in the morning which is also useful. :roll:

Kind regards
Coggy
COGGY

Postby despair » Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:13 am

Stufe and coggy

what recomendations do you have for make /set up of CCTV cameras please

did you install them yourself
despair

Postby sadone » Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:15 am

Really I ought to change my name to optomisticone as I have given the impression of someone wallowing in a constant state of misery.

This isn't really the case. Next door is just one more bit of crap the gods have seen fit to throw our way. We will survive! Yes Stu we try to carry out the golden rule.

CCTV - I believe we can do nothing unless it is operated by a business. (and I don't want to give next door the satisfaction of thinking it's upsetting us). Next dor to him Nine houses are going to be built. Hope this diverts his attention from us...
sadone

Postby COGGY » Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:28 am

Hi Despair

My husband spent some time researching before we bought the CCTV. We had a quote from a local firm, which he thought was expensive. He ended up spending the same amount, but purchased on line. I will find out the name of the firm as they were extremely helpful and gave lots of advice. Even after setting it up when it had a problem, caused by us, they gave plenty of advice. When I have found out am I permitted to name the firm and make of CCTV here? He did instal it himself.

Kind regards
Coggy
COGGY

Postby COGGY » Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:32 am

Hi Sadone

Yes it would be a good idea to change your name. You do not come across as sad. You were stressed but do not appear so now. Why not become Happyone? :roll:

Regards
Coggy
COGGY

Postby MacadamB53 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:46 am

Hi optimisticone,

we try to carry out the golden rule.

so should everyone:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Rule

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Postby MacadamB53 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:54 am

Hi nothingtodowithme,

The golden rules sounds good

Glad the universal maxim held by mankind across the globe for millennia meets your approval. :wink:

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

PreviousNext

Return to Hedges