can you cut back overhanging potted plants?

can you cut back overhanging potted plants?

Postby evileye_xc » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:19 pm

This is my first post on here. I have an ongoing dispute with my neighbours over a variety of issues, as do the people who live on the other side of them. Recently they put up a willow fence on each side of their garden, despite ours being an open plan estate. They have also added a number of bamboo plants, some in the ground and some in pots.

My question is; if these bamboos overhang our gardens are we allowed to cut them back like trees or hedges? I have been ducking under a bamboo branch for the last couple of days as we do not have any communication with the people in the middle and I would like it removed.
evileye_xc

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: can you cut back overhanging potted plants?

Postby despair » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:42 pm

Any branches/roots/or vegetation that overhangs the boundary are trespassing and you have a common law right to cut all overhang right back to the boundary

you should offer the arisings back which they can decline but just quietly disposing of them is probably safest with problem neighbours
despair

Postby evileye_xc » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:42 pm

Thanks for that. I was just concerned in case a pot plant was considered differently
evileye_xc

Postby Treeman » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:50 pm

despair wrote:Any branches/roots/or vegetation that overhangs the boundary are trespassing and you have a common law right to cut all overhang right back to the boundary

you should offer the arisings back which they can decline but just quietly disposing of them is probably safest with problem neighbours

You can return the cuttings as long as you don't do any damage
Treeman

Postby despair » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:35 pm

With difficult neighbours all that returning arisings will result in is tit for tat
And much more besides
despair

Postby COGGY » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:40 am

How tall are the bamboos? We have a tall bamboo, growing in a very large tub, to give privacy from our neighbours. We have tall stakes with string between them, so that the bamboos can grow and give privacy but not encroach on the neighbours. Would that be appropriate for you?
COGGY

Postby Clifford Pope » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:50 am

Do the same rules really apply to potted plants? Surely as a moveable item it might be different?
Supposing they stored their ladders leaning against and projecting over the fence - would you be entitled to cut the tops off?
Or they always parked their car overhanging your space - cut the door off?
Clifford Pope

Postby arsie » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:38 pm

I agree too. You have to "bite the bullet" and ask them to move the pot(s) so there is no overhanging vegetation!
arsie

Postby evileye_xc » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:43 pm

They phoned the police on the last person who spoke to them in a civil manner. The neighbours on the other side. The police told them they were ridiculous. They have moved the potted bamboo so it no longer overhangs. Also told to do so by the police as their call backfired on them and they got into bother not the other neighbours.

Paranoia and the belief you are always in the right are a bad mix for living in a small quiet cul de sac
evileye_xc

Postby COGGY » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:13 pm

It is probably true to say that in most neighbour disputes (or any other disputes) both sides BELIEVE they are right. Otherwise they would surely not enter into the dispute in the first place.
COGGY

Postby appledore » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:23 pm

COGGY wrote:It is probably true to say that in most neighbour disputes (or any other disputes) both sides BELIEVE they are right. Otherwise they would surely not enter into the dispute in the first place.

Some people are ALWAYS right. If they make up their minds about something then that's it. It doesn't matter if they are totally in the wrong they'll argue black's white.
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Postby despair » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:28 pm

When the neighbour who starts the dispute is a bully even if the matter went to court and a judge ruled they were wrong ...........bullies will still refuse point blank to believe the judge or any form of expert

they simply insist they know better than anyone else on the planet and all around must obey their twisted rules
despair

Postby hzatph » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:28 am

despair wrote:When the neighbour who starts the dispute is a bully even if the matter went to court and a judge ruled they were wrong ...........bullies will still refuse point blank to believe the judge or any form of expert

they simply insist they know better than anyone else on the planet and all around must obey their twisted rules

There are no such things as universal rules - different legal systems will produce different results as they have different laws applied in different ways.

I do have to say that the word "bully" is seriously overused on this forum and neighbour's freely labelled with it with no justification at all.
hzatph

Postby Sudynim » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:13 pm

I agree also.
Sudynim

Postby despair » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:09 pm

You have to actually experience the behaviour of a bully to recognise and understand how they operate

Can assure that it comes as a very very nasty shock to suddenly aquire a bully neighbour when you have always had wonderful neighbours all around who you continue to see and remain friends with long after they have moved away

Its truly gut wrenching to experience the devious and sneaky bizarre behaviour of a bully and it takes a lot of courage and careful planning to outwit them
despair

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Next

Return to Hedges