can you cut back overhanging potted plants?

Re: can you cut back overhanging potted plants?

Postby COGGY » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:27 pm

I appreciate what you say Despair. I know how stressful neighbours can make life. This does not mean that all neighbours are bullies. The majority of people do want to be on good terms with their neighbours. Often each person is looking at a problem only from their own perspective. It is always wise, in my opinion, to try to sort out problems and get on with neighbours. It is not a good idea to treat everyone as though they are unreasonable/difficult. It is certainly not a good idea to encourage others to believe this. Obviously some neighbours are difficult, unreasonable, etc. but it is wiser to try to find a reasonable solution to any problem in the first place, rather than to "go in with all guns blazing". If things do deteriorate at least we are left with the knowledge that we have tried.
COGGY

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Postby ukmicky » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:00 pm

A landowner does not have to check how a plant is rooted before he cuts back to a boundary .

The law would also not expect a neighbour to trespass into the airspace of another to work out if a plant was in a pot or not. So i very much doubt a court would penalize someone for cutting back potted plants to the boundary.

Why would there be a difference between a potted plant encroaching into a neighbours garden and one grown in the ground ?
Advice given is not legally qualified and you are advised to gain a professional opinion
ukmicky

Postby Grapefruit » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:17 pm

Hmm, you make a valid point ukmicky, but I'd be hesitant to just cut it back and see what happens, especially if there have been "disputes" with these neighbours before... But apparently the pots have already been moved - small victory!
Grapefruit

Postby RDF Jess » Fri May 29, 2015 12:31 pm

Hi, my name is Jess and I’m a Researcher at RDF Television.

I’m currently working on a new documentary for ITV exploring a variety of issues people can face in their garden and or around their home including boundary disputes, nuisances next door, infestations, pests and weeds, sinkholes, erosion and flooding.

It would be great to have a chat with you and tell you more about the programme.

If you’re interested in finding out more please call Jess on 0207 013 4076.
RDF Jess

Previous

Return to Hedges