Field hedge on boundary.

Field hedge on boundary.

Postby Fredgarden » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:06 pm

We moved into our present property a year ago, the deeds for which show that I own the boundary at the bottom of my garden. A section of the original field hedge lies along this boundary, which as you would expect includes holly, hazel, ash, and hawthorne etc. The previous owner of my house made a point of telling me that he regularly cut this hedge, as best he could.

However, I gather that the elderly widow who lived in the adjoining bungalow rarely bothered to get her gardener to trim the field hedge from her side. As a consequence, the hedge has grown to be eight or so feet wide in places such that, even when using a long reach hedge trimmer, I am unable to cut the top of it over its full depth.

Sadly the widow died last year, and the new owners who have now bought her bungalow have told me that I need to fully cut the top of my field hedge that extends into their garden, as it looks so untidy !

I have done my best to tackle the field hedge, and it seems only reasonable to me that the new owners should trim the hedge on their side, if they are unhappy with it. I should therefore be grateful, if someone could please tell me what the legal situation is here ? :?:
Fredgarden

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Field hedge on boundary.

Postby Brainsey » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:33 pm

I dare say that you're aware that the new owners of the bungalow are entitled to trim back overhanging parts of the hedge and offer the trimmings back to you.
I'd guess however that they don't fancy doing that work themselves or paying someone else to trim your hedge which you have allowed to grow into their garden.

If they've made the request in somewhere near a reasonable fashion I'd be tempted to find the elderly widow's gardener and pay him to do a fairly severe and long lasting trim on the hedge.
Alternatively since you have the tools to do your side, just DIY.
After that you could drop a hint to new owner by saying something like "Now it will be easy for you to keep it in check".
If it costs you a few quid so be it, but that will be much better for neighbourly relations than getting into some of the NFH situations so often seen on here.

Once you start down the 'legal' route it's likely to cost much, much more in terms of money and stress than a few hours of yours or a gardener's time.
Brainsey

Re: Field hedge on boundary.

Postby Sudynim » Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:07 pm

I think this is good advice. Arguably you could legally refuse, but why start out on a bad footing with new neighbours? Complete a one-off prune and trim project, and tell them it's up to them whether they let it grow in future.
Sudynim

Return to Hedges