Removing Laurel and replacing with fencing...

Removing Laurel and replacing with fencing...

Postby Nelly321 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:15 pm

My first post guys.

Just brought a house with my Gf and we have a very large Laurel Hedge in the front garden. Neighbors tell me it hasn't been trimmed for 7 years.
It is between 12-13' high and 6' wide, and around 16 metres in length.
The land slopes away and the laurel grows out the side of the slope close to the pavement.

My initial plan was to cut the Laurel down, and pay a professional to cut, shred and take away the chippings in one go to avoid disruption.
I then would kill off the roots by either mechanical/chemical means, and fit a fence to reinstate the boundary. This would consist of concrete posts and gravel boards and wooden fencing.

I may level up the land slightly with soil, up to just below the top of the gravel board, leaving about 6 inch for stones/gravel to allow water drainage and prevent the soil from pressing against the gravel board.

Let me know what you all think :)
Nelly321

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Removing Laurel and replacing with fencing...

Postby despair » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:36 pm

I assume the land next door is higher than yours in which case technically they are responsible for holding back their land

1) be very very sure to discuss this with them and get it in writing that they are happy to have a high hedge replaced with a max 2 metre high fence and that they understand its your fence and they cannot paint or stain it or grow ivy or climbers up it nor can they attach wires or trellis to it

2) if their land is higher you will need concrete gravel boards or a proper retaining wall ............wood ones will simply rot

3) the concrete posts will need to be tall enough and well supported enough to cope with the land height difference so make sure whoever you employ is truly good and recommended and not simply in some "trusted tradesmen " type website

4) be very sure the true boundary line is properly marked and agreed
despair

Postby Nelly321 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:58 am

Pinkie you are correct it is all bordering the public footpath. But you have raised something for me to think about with regard to the 1m height restriction.

Where is written? I don't doubt you I am just interested as I see and know of a lot of fencing which are around 7-8ft which border onto footpaths, I bet none have got PP.
Nelly321

Postby Nelly321 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:15 am

Thanks,

I will see what the planning authority say, I would want the fence to be around 3-4ft anyway.

Can't see there being much of a problem, especially if I am removing a 13ft high hedge.
Nelly321

Postby despair » Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:05 pm

Is your land lower or higher than the pavement ??????????????

If its lower you may cause problems with the pavement if you start digging out the trunks /roots
despair

Postby arborlad » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:42 pm

If its lower you may cause problems with the pavement if you start digging out the trunks /roots

and of course it would then be highways/council responsibility to retain their pavement /land

The Highway Authority, Council, or whoever owns the footway, is most definitely not going to share that view.
arborlad

smile...it confuses people
arborlad

Postby Treeman » Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:44 am

Nelly321 wrote:My first post guys.

Just brought a house with my Gf and we have a very large Laurel Hedge in the front garden. Neighbors tell me it hasn't been trimmed for 7 years.
It is between 12-13' high and 6' wide, and around 16 metres in length.
The land slopes away and the laurel grows out the side of the slope close to the pavement.

My initial plan was to cut the Laurel down, and pay a professional to cut, shred and take away the chippings in one go to avoid disruption.
I then would kill off the roots by either mechanical/chemical means, and fit a fence to reinstate the boundary. This would consist of concrete posts and gravel boards and wooden fencing.

I may level up the land slightly with soil, up to just below the top of the gravel board, leaving about 6 inch for stones/gravel to allow water drainage and prevent the soil from pressing against the gravel board.

Let me know what you all think :)

Speaking as a professional, if you presented me with a pile of brash that you had cut it will cost you more, Efficient chipping requires proper cutting, let the contractor do it all.

Gravel boards are to keep the timber off the ground so it wont rot, they are not suitable for retaining anything, not even a bit of gravel.
Treeman

Postby MacadamB53 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:10 am

Hi pinkie,

you are limted to a fence of maximum 1 meter in height without obtaining planning permission.

Not so.

The OP is not erecting a new fence or adding to an existing one. He is replacing. So long as this does not increase the height then it is permitted development and planning is not required.

Hi Nelly,

It is likely the laurel hedge was intended to be a certain height, both for privacy and a good sound barrier. Replacing with a 3ft fence is something you shouldn't do without careful consideration of the irreversible (without pp) impact. We're doing something very similar in a few weeks' time but only after living here long enough to be aware of the impact (ie how much pedestrian and traffic footfall and volume levels).

Kind regards, Mac
Please disregard my contributions to this thread as the majority were made with a misguided understanding of planning requirements.
Last edited by MacadamB53 on Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:05 pm, edited 4 times in total.
MacadamB53

Postby mugwump » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:31 am

MacadamB53 wrote:Hi pinkie,

you are limted to a fence of maximum 1 meter in height without obtaining planning permission.

Not so.

The OP is not erecting a new fence or adding to an existing one. He is replacing. So long as this does not increase the height then it is permitted development and planning is not required.

Kind regards, Mac
I would have said that removing a hedge and putting a fence in its place is not a replacement but a new structure which needs to meet the height limits.

Under your definition I could replace my 10ft hedge (adjacent to a road) with a 10ft fence. It doesn't work that way, a fence is a fence and a hedge is a hedge. 2 totally different structures when it comes to planning laws.
mugwump

Postby MacadamB53 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:38 am

Hi pinkie,

What if you did not choose to replace your 10ft hedge? How would the situation be different?

I don't think the distinction you're making between materials - timber, masonry, planting - is relevant. The only distinction I know of on such things is that adding to the height of a hedge (by letting it grow) would not require pp whereas topping a 1 metre brick wall with a 10 cm rail would.

I'm no expert though.

We'll have to agree to differ on this point.

Kind regard
MacadamB53

Postby MacadamB53 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:14 pm

Hi pinkie,

Apologies for not identifying the correct poster.

Hi mugwump (and pinkie)

It is my opinion that a 'hedge' is a wall made of plants. This is why only the words 'fence' (temporary barrier), 'wall' (permanent barrier), and 'gate' (hinged barrier) are mentioned in the permitted development guidance. I would expect the guidance to also contain a bullet stipulating your firmly held belief about replacing a 'hedge' being different to replacing all other walls. But there isn't - I wonder why?

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Postby MacadamB53 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:23 pm

I second nothingtodowithme's suggestion
MacadamB53

Postby MacadamB53 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:20 pm

Hi pinkie,

I like to think I haven't just formed my opinion in blind ignorance :oops: but can not recollect reading any legislation as you mention. Could you post a link please? (not just to the portal...)

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Postby arborlad » Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:35 pm

Pinkie is correct.
arborlad

smile...it confuses people
arborlad

Postby MacadamB53 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:56 pm

Hi pinkie,

Let's not dwell on this any further - there's no mention of 'hedge' in the available guidance and you've kindly shared your knowledge that 'hedge' is distinguished from all other types of 'wall' in some piece of legislation.

Please post a link and I'll get reading :wink:

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Next

Return to Hedges