Hornbeam hedges and light loss

Hornbeam hedges and light loss

Postby woodbinecottage » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:50 pm

I'm new here and I found this forum as a good source of advice for garden matters.
My neighbour has a driveway which has one side as a boundary line with my property. They have just recently planted a hornbeam hedge, of which part is about one meter from our ground floor windows. Can I have any chance of redress for loss of light when it gets high? Our floor level is also below their ground level, so the height issue is compounded by the difference.
We have had various 'disputes' with them over tree overhangs etc, so I am almost certain this is their revenge....I sort of understand that Hornbeam doesn't come under the high hedges act, so maybe they planted this variety knowing full well I don't have any legal options.
woodbinecottage

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Hornbeam hedges and light loss

Postby Niloufes » Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:07 pm

Yes Hornbeam are specifically excluded from the act and so there isn't much you can do. You can however cut back any overhanging branches under common law. You may find that cutting back as soon as they overhang will keep the height/depth/fullness of the hedge in check.
Niloufes

Re: Hornbeam hedges and light loss

Postby RDF Jess » Fri May 29, 2015 12:34 pm

Hi, my name is Jess and I’m a Researcher at RDF Television.

I’m currently working on a new documentary for ITV exploring a variety of issues people can face in their garden and or around their home including boundary disputes, nuisances next door, infestations, pests and weeds, sinkholes, erosion and flooding.

It would be great to have a chat with you and tell you more about the programme.

If you’re interested in finding out more please call Jess on 0207 013 4076.
RDF Jess

Return to Hedges