Hedges Which Obscure Traffic View

Hedges Which Obscure Traffic View

Postby manigotu » Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:29 pm

At the end of the private road in which I live, there is a junction to a busy main road.

There is a hedge on the left corner of that junction on my neighbour's land. This hedge protrudes above a two foot wall into the sight line of traffic coming from the left which can travel at over 50 mph, making it dangerous.

All requests to trim back the hedge have been ignored, so what can I do please?
manigotu

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Hedges Which Obscure Traffic View

Postby despair » Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:50 pm

Contact the local council highways dept and your local councillor and ask who is going to be responsible for the inevitable accidents

check the planning for the wall

it might be the crazy bit of planning law which restricts height of walls and fences but not hedges
despair

Re: Hedges Which Obscure Traffic View

Postby MacadamB53 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:49 pm

Hi manigotu,

You mention you live along a private road - is the hedge protruding into the private road or the public highway?

If it is the former then both the owner of the private road and anyone with a granted easement to use the private road is entitled to cut the hedge back on that side without requiring the hedge owner's permission. The private road may also be a dedicated PROW - you'd need to check on your local definitive map (ask the council). If it is then the PROW team would be able to get a notice served to the owner of the private road to cut the hedge back.

If it is the latter then you need to raise your concerns with your local Highways Authority and they will take appropriate action.

In either case the garden owner needs to do nothing unless served with a notice from the authorities - even then the notice could be appealed or ignored (however this is very unlikely) which would mean further (legal) action would be required by the authorities.

Kind regards, Mac

edit: I assume the requests which have so far been ignored where directed to the hedge owner rather than the private road owner or HA?
MacadamB53

Return to Hedges