hedge cut down by neighbour

hedge cut down by neighbour

Postby artygarden » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:54 pm

Hi All

just looking for a bit of advice please if possible - we share a garden with our neighbour for the past 7/8 years divided lengthwise , its about 60 ft long and 35 ft wide, yesterday came home to discover that the hedge at the end of the garden between our side and the neighbour opposite has been completely removed. Hedge was ivy and old mans beard but kept our garden and home from being overlooked . All has been completely removed leaving only some netting and fence posts in place.

our privacy is compromised, the neighbour being able to see directly into our kitchen and diner now with nothing in between. The ownership of the garden is clear on the deed which shows our half clearly outlined in red.

We were completely shocked that this happened, there had been some brief discussion about tree pruning but this was not mentioned. We have let them know how unhappy we are and invited them to meet with us to discuss the way the garden is being managed. They are an elderly couple and we are happy to share a garden with them but they do not seem to respect our rights under the lease as this is not the first time that things have been done which effect us. Any positive advice that can help to resolve amicably would be very helpful indeed

thanks

artygarden
artygarden

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: hedge cut down by neighbour

Postby MacadamB53 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:58 pm

Hi artygarden,

The ownership of the garden is clear on the deed which shows our half clearly outlined in red.

Ordinarily this means you own a garden, not own half a shared garden.

Can you explain what you mean by 'shared'.

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Postby Geometer » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:32 am

Could you be more specific about what species constituted your hedge? Ivy and "Old Man's Beard" (Wild Clematis Clematis vitalba) are both climbing plants which depend on other plants for support; thus they cannot, on their own, form a hedge. Are there other species of shrub in the hedge, or were they using the wire fence for support? If the latter, were they growing from your side of the fence, and have they been cut to ground level?

They are both robust plants, and will probably grow back within a season or two.
Geometer

Postby despair » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:25 pm

Whilst the neighbours have gone about this in the wrong way it sounds to me like they were finally fed up with the constant invasion of ivy and old mans beard

I suggest you take to opportunity to get a decent fence installed or plant a hedge of beech or photinia or laurel or yew or a mix of all of them
despair

Postby RDF Jess » Fri May 29, 2015 12:20 pm

Hi, my name is Jess and I’m a Researcher at RDF Television.

I’m currently working on a new documentary for ITV exploring a variety of issues people can face in their garden and or around their home including boundary disputes, nuisances next door, infestations, pests and weeds, sinkholes, erosion and flooding.

It would be great to have a chat with you and tell you more about the programme.

If you’re interested in finding out more please call Jess on 0207 013 4076.
RDF Jess

Return to Hedges