Advice on unkept Laurel hedge/fencing

Advice on unkept Laurel hedge/fencing

Postby stuffed » Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:44 pm

Hi all,

My fiancee and I moved into our first house together, at the end of June 2013 and I was just looking for some advice regarding a large laurel hedge at the end of our garden.

Upon looking at various plans that came back from our searches, it appears that our garden boundary spans longer than our neighbours, however our fence at the end of the garden actually runs in line with the neighbouring fence line.

(My pictures aren't working..)

To add to the query, there is a tall Laurel hedge spanning the width of only our garden, which our fence appears to protrude back into our garden and straight across the front of the Laurel as if it had been purposely excluded from the garden by a previous owner, perhaps to prevent having to maintain it?

So, I just wanted to query whether the Laurel hedge (or part of) is in fact part of our garden? All 3 plans that came back from the surveys when buying the house show that our garden boundary pokes out further than our neighbours.

I have spoken with the previous owner, who mentioned that he had personally been trimming the Laurel hedge for years himself while residing at the property leading me to believe that the area is our responsibility. He had previously extended the garden boundary to the left, and passed on ground plans which also show that our garden is longer than our neighbours.

I have been in touch with the Local Authority/Council who only advised that I need to pay to see the plans which will show what land is ours and what is the councils/green network...but I've already got the plans as a result of searches carried out when purchasing the house? I've even offered to buy the land, but they've replied saying that it is classed as green network and would unlikely be sold.

Basically, I would like to replace the fence panels and posts at the end of my garden fairly urgently, and wanted to erect the new fence panels and posts tightly around the back of the Laurel hedge in order to maintain it more easily. I of course don't want to annoy the neighbours, or find myself having to move the fence panels again if there is some form of descrepency with the council regarding the boundary.

I wondered if anyone had any advice??
stuffed

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Advice on unkept Laurel hedge/fencing

Postby arborlad » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:21 pm

stuffed wrote:Hi all,

Here's why: viewtopic.php?f=20&p=171341#p171341
arborlad

smile...it confuses people
arborlad

Postby MacadamB53 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:09 pm

Hi stuffed,

You only seem to mention your side neighbours.
Who owns the land beyond?

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Postby stuffed » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:22 pm

Hi both,

Thanks for your replies.
arborlad - I'll upload the pictures properly tomorrow when I'm at a desktop.

Mac - the land beyond my garden is "green network" im told. there's the laurel, a big gap, then another hedge that runs perpendicular to the laurel in question. When I upload the pictures tomorrow, it should all become clear.

The council seem reluctant to comment, but I don't know whether that's just because they want to stiff me for some money to send off an application form before they'll start talking?
stuffed

Postby MacadamB53 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:51 pm

Hi stuffed,

I didn't ask what it was, I asked who owned it.

Do you not know?

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Postby stuffed » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:16 am

Mac,

Well, if it's green network it's council owned, right?

Thing is, the previous owner said that the house we now own was in the family for a number of years and the council never maintained the laurel. We have been there for (coming up to) a year and not seen a council groundsman...

Kind regards
stuffed

Postby stuffed » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:50 am

Just to give a better idea of where I'm coming from, here are a few pictures.

Before we bought the house, I queried the ownership of the land to the left and rear and how much it would cost to officially purchase some and have it in the deeds. I was told
The sale of the land would be subject to planning permission and as the land is designated green network it is very unlikely that planning permission would be forthcoming.

EDIT: I've just found an email declaring that the land is council owned too

The garden has been extended to the left by 1 metre by the previous owner, which is also reflected in official doumentation, so I'm a bit puzzled as to why they're being so negative about my prospects.

As you can see, the fence actually comes back in on itself, as if it were purposely routed in front of the laurel to exclude it from the garden?

..and as you can see, it's quite a substantial growth of laurel
stuffed

Postby MacadamB53 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:00 am

Hi stuffed,

Basically, I would like to replace the fence panels and posts at the end of my garden fairly urgently, and wanted to erect the new fence panels and posts tightly around the back of the Laurel hedge in order to maintain it more easily. I of course don't want to annoy the neighbours, or find myself having to move the fence panels again if there is some form of descrepency with the council regarding the boundary.

There is a long, mature hedgerow running along one edge of my property on the other side of which is a track.
When we first moved in the hedgerow was in dire need of attention.
I contacted the parks dept. to establish whether the hedgerow was on their schedule (it wasn't).

Have you spoken to someone at your parks dept?
What use is being made of the 'green network' land directly beyond? and what dimensions?

If it's not on the schedule and is neglected I'd just press on and adopt the hedge.

All my non-expert, unqualified suggestions.

Kind regards, Mac
PS if you adopt the hedge, even with council's blessing, you may be accused of 'theft' by a jealous/zealous neighbour.
PPS you do realise the land beneath the overhang beyond your garden isn't yours? (ie you must cut the hedge back to the trunk line before you erect your new fence)
MacadamB53

Postby stuffed » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:13 am

Also, according to the plans we have, our garden appears to be longer than the neighbour's gardens, which lead me to believe that the Laurel hedge is actually part of our garden?

..but in reality, that isn't the case
stuffed

Postby arborlad » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:32 am

stuffed wrote:Also, according to the plans we have, our garden appears to be longer than the neighbour's gardens, which lead me to believe that the Laurel hedge is actually part of our garden?

[url=http://s3.photobucket.com/user/greenax/media/Garden/OSplan.jpg.html]]

Do you have the title plan for the property to the SW of you?
arborlad

arborlad

Postby stuffed » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:03 am

MacadamB53 wrote:Have you spoken to someone at your parks dept?

No, I haven't actually, but I'll investigate that today. Thanks.

MacadamB53 wrote:What use is being made of the 'green network' land directly beyond? and what dimensions?

Frustratingly, nothing! If you look at the picture showing my whole garden, we get 1 or 2 dog walkers a week if that (i.e. doesn't seem to be their usual/daily route) who come from where the cars are, diagonally left, behind my laurel and down the left hand side of my fence, but that's it. And like I said, that's very very infrequently.

MacadamB53 wrote:if you adopt the hedge, even with council's blessing, you may be accused of 'theft' by a jealous/zealous neighbour.

That's what I'm mostly worried about. To be blunt, the council probably wouldn't know any different. I've just moved from a house with noisy inconsiderate neighbours - I don't want to pee these ones off and ruin the dynamic.
I've spoken to my next door neighbour about totally getting rid of the laurel - he said he wasn't bothered. It's now growing wider and obstructing his back gate (that picture isn't very recent) so he has to prune it occasionally - he could be thankful of me adopting it and keeping it in check even if it does mean I gain a foot or two in land?

MacadamB53 wrote:PPS you do realise the land beneath the overhang beyond your garden isn't yours? (ie you must cut the hedge back to the trunk line before you erect your new fence)

:shock: No I didn't realise that, but that makes sense now you've mentioned it.
stuffed

Postby stuffed » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:05 am

arborlad wrote:Do you have the title plan for the property to the SW of you?

Sorry, what do you mean by "SW of you?"
stuffed

Postby arborlad » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:35 am

stuffed wrote:
arborlad wrote:Do you have the title plan for the property to the SW of you?

Sorry, what do you mean by "SW of you?"

South West - the property to your left when looking from the rear.
arborlad

arborlad

Postby stuffed » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:42 am

oh yeah, :oops: sorry

No I don't. I guess I'll have to buy that?
stuffed

Postby stuffed » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:41 am

I've found somewhere to buy next doors title plan, from the Land Registry website. I presume I can't get this information for free elsewhere?
stuffed

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Next

Return to Hedges