Gap in Hedge

Gap in Hedge

Postby swordmaster » Tue May 20, 2014 3:43 pm

I now own a house where there is a Hawthorne hedge.
This hedge is between myself and two neighbors, one of which has a section of approx 90cm, the other has 15 or so meters.
The longer section is in reasonable repair, myself and the neighbor are now looking at improving it with some smaller Hawthorne plants to plug some small gaps.

The smaller section is basically a gap of 90cm, this time with another neighbor, their actual garden stops approx half a meter from the gap, so there is some bare ground between their garden end and the actual gap, but I would assume that the bare ground is on their property. I planted some small hawthorn plants last October to fill the gap along the original line of the hedge.

Last week I found that these plants had been cut off approx 10cm from the ground.

Whilst looking into who might have done it I discovered that the neighbor in question was known to do such things, though I have no proof of who did it. I have yet to talk to this neighbor.

The gap in the hedge does pose an obvious security issue.

It would be rather silly to put up a fence to cover such a short distance.

I have no particular desire to get into a legal process.

I assume that the hedge/border is joint ownership as there are no other indications on the land registry documents

My questions are:
Do I have a right to "repair" the hedge in it's original position?

How is it suggested that I go about ensuring that any further plants are not cut down.

regards

Swordmaster
swordmaster

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Gap in Hedge

Postby cobdale » Tue May 20, 2014 4:23 pm

nothingtodowithme wrote:Is there a reason why you have not introduced yourself to the neighbour in question regarding repair of the said hedge?
I have noted you have made assumptions and have heard the neighbour in question is known to do such things, thereby implicating him/her.
Communication is vital to a resolution surely?
I agree on that
cobdale

Postby MacadamB53 » Tue May 20, 2014 4:39 pm

Hi swordmaster,

I assume that the hedge/border is joint ownership as there are no other indications on the land registry documents

my immediate thought is:

if you assume it is "joint ownership" why have you begun work on the hedge without consulting the other owner?

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Postby Geometer » Tue May 20, 2014 8:49 pm

swordmaster wrote:
Last week I found that these plants had been cut off approx 10cm from the ground.

Swordmaster

They'll grow back. It's actually quite common practice to do this to newly-planted hedging, particularly of native species like hawthorn, as it promotes bushy growth.
Geometer

Return to Hedges