Ivy growth responsibility

Ivy growth responsibility

Postby gfish91 » Thu May 29, 2014 10:58 am

Hi,

We (up until recently) had a large amount of ivy growing up from our side of the garden, over our fence and into our neighbours garden. We cut it all out to get more light into our kitchen, but only up to our side of the fence, not into the neighbours side. However, it turns out since then that some of the ivy has fallen down onto our neighbours side - is this our responsbility to dispose of or is it up to our neighbours to deal with the growth on their side? I should note that the plant grows from our side (as far as i'm aware) so I expect it probably is up to us to sort out not our neighbours, but i wanted to check first.

Thanks
gfish91

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Ivy growth responsibility

Postby MacadamB53 » Thu May 29, 2014 12:34 pm

Hi gfish,

so, you've got a plant growing near the edge your land that has collapsed onto your neighbour's land, probably as a direct result of you carrying out some work on the plant?

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Postby gfish91 » Thu May 29, 2014 1:42 pm

Essentially, yes. the plant appeared to have grown over the fence and into their land so when I cut it out from our side, the bit that had grown over their side collapsed into their land.
gfish91

Postby MacadamB53 » Thu May 29, 2014 5:41 pm

Hi gfish,

I have been in a similar situation myself - I just apologised and asked my neighbour how he wanted it dealt with.
he asked me to sort it, I said okay and then I sorted it - everyone happy.

have you spoken to the neighbour yet?

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Return to Hedges