Council house boundary hedge

Council house boundary hedge

Postby Lily of the valley » Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:29 pm

My house and the house next door are council properties that have a privet hedge boundary between them at the front. When we moved here 10 years ago the hedge was overgrown and our neighbour did nothing to the garden for years. We cut it regularly, thinning it and lowering it until it is now a half a metre wide and about one metre high, with no complaint from the neighbour. In the last few of years they have started to cut the grass and the hedge about once a year. Last week they complained when I cut the hedge and said not to cut their side as they want to grow it tall. (The hedge on the other side of their garden is not much taller.) We have a double driveway as we have two cars, at the front of our house with only a thin flowerbed on either side. As my car is parked almost right next to the hedge I want to keep it low enough so I can see if people, particularly small children as there is a primary school nearby, are walking up the pavement which is ten feet wide between the garden and road. The road is a main thoroughfare and very busy with traffic and pedestrians. Although the roots are planted on the boundary the main bulk of the hedge has grown on their side because they rarely cut it. Am I allowed to trim the height of the hedge all the way across or only to the boundary?
Lily of the valley

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Council house boundary hedge

Postby MacadamB53 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:04 pm

Hi Lily,

the answer is "to the boundary" because anything beyond is not your property.

how do you know the hedge stands on the boundary rather than on one side of it?

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Postby Lily of the valley » Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:49 pm

Hi Mac, I think the hedge was originally planted by the council and I thought they usually put them in as a boundary between properties. When the council put our driveway in the guy who did it said the boundary was probably the fence post on either side of our garden. There was no actual post on that side because they don't have a front fence but where our part of the fence stood before it was removed, there was a rotted post stub which was also removed. The hedge roots are our side of where the post stub was.
Lily of the valley

Postby TO » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:26 am

Hi

If it is a boundary hedge then it is probably the case that ownership is in common. That means you can't cut any of it without your neighbours consent.

Bitter and entrenched neighbour disputes as well as long and expensive court cases to determine who owns what and who has rights to do what are made of complaints such as this.

TO
TO

Postby RDF Jess » Fri May 29, 2015 12:13 pm

Hi, my name is Jess and I’m a Researcher at RDF Television.

I’m currently working on a new documentary for ITV exploring a variety of issues people can face in their garden and or around their home including boundary disputes, nuisances next door, infestations, pests and weeds, sinkholes, erosion and flooding.

It would be great to have a chat with you and tell you more about the programme.

If you’re interested in finding out more please call Jess on 0207 013 4076.
RDF Jess

Return to Hedges