Brown Patches on Leylandii Hedge

Brown Patches on Leylandii Hedge

Postby appledore » Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:40 pm

We have quite a large brown patch on one of our Leylandii hedges which is getting bigger. We have our treeman here at the moment, and while trimming the hedge he has found two more quite small patches. He said they are caused by aphids, and he'll spray the hedge. Has anyone else had this problem? We don't want to lose our hedge as we are next to open countryside and it's a good windbreak. Any help would be appreciated. :)
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Brown Patches on Leylandii Hedge

Postby COGGY » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:31 pm

Hi Appledore

Do you have a good garden centre nearby that may be able to advise you? I hope you get it sorted.

Kind regards Coggy
COGGY

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:25 pm

Hi apples, when we were in Scotland and Wales, we saw so many Leylandii hedges with huge brown patches, some completely brown. It is often aphids. Have a look at the link I have added.
https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=492

being a proud member of the Leylandii appreciation society, with some hedges being the 8th wonder of the world, I do hope you can save your wonderful hedge. :mrgreen:
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby appledore » Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:45 pm

Hi Will. Thanks for the link. As the founder member of the local Leylandii Appreciation Society we don't want to lose our hedge. We would need a very high fence to have the privacy we have now, and I don't think it would stand up to the wind.
There are horses in the field and they snuggle up to the hedge. They'd maybe push the fence over.

We'll have to start spraying in the early Summer as it suggests. Our cherry tree and plum tree have aphids or something similar as the leaves were sticky and then they dropped off. We're having them removed. We're under attack from all sides. :lol:

Hi Coggy. Thanks for your suggestion, we'll give the garden centre a try. :)
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:54 pm

http://www.gardenersworld.com/blogs/pla ... /3327.html

A bit more info. :) Is your title at the local L.A.S Queenappleeightwonderer ? :lol:
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby appledore » Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:58 pm

Thanks Will. Our hedge looks worse than the photo. :( My title at the local L.A.S. is just Granny Smith. :lol:
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Postby Treeman » Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:31 am

COGGY wrote:Hi Appledore

Do you have a good garden centre nearby that may be able to advise you? I hope you get it sorted.

Kind regards Coggy

Most garden centre staff are kids with no horticultural knowledge, many can barely master the till.
Treeman

Postby COGGY » Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:07 am

Hi Treeman

We are lucky then. There is a wonderful garden centre at Romsey, not too far from us, where the staff do know their stuff and will give advice. They have a garden club and have regular talks. It is even possible to email for advice. They helped our neighbour when he had the same problem, but unfortunately I cannot remember the advice they gave and the neighbour is no longer here.

Kind regards
Coggy
COGGY

Postby APC » Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:05 pm

COGGY wrote:Hi Treeman

We are lucky then. There is a wonderful garden centre at Romsey, not too far from us, where the staff do know their stuff and will give advice. They have a garden club and have regular talks. It is even possible to email for advice. They helped our neighbour when he had the same problem, but unfortunately I cannot remember the advice they gave and the neighbour is no longer here.

Kind regards
Coggy

That'll be Hilliers then. Make an exception for them :P I was going to go there today but got sidetracked by the Forest.
APC

Postby COGGY » Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:12 pm

Hi APC

Yes I did refer to Hilliers. They are really helpful aren't they? I hope you enjoyed the forest today. Do you have a favourite part? We like what we call The Gallops, near Woodgreen, where the dog walkers go, tho we don't have a dog.

Kind regards
Coggy
COGGY

Postby APC » Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:37 pm

COGGY wrote:Hi APC

Yes I did refer to Hilliers. They are really helpful aren't they? I hope you enjoyed the forest today. Do you have a favourite part? We like what we call The Gallops, near Woodgreen, where the dog walkers go, tho we don't have a dog.

Kind regards
Coggy

Near High Corner Inn, so not a million miles away from there.
APC

Postby appledore » Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:03 pm

Hi Coggy.

Did your neighbour's hedge recover or was it a gonner? You are lucky to have a good garden centre. We don't have a really good one near, they seem to sell everything but plants.
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Postby COGGY » Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:25 pm

Hi Appledore

Our neighbour received advice on treating his hedge. He was quite elderly and had just lost his wife so he actually had the hedge replaced because he spent most of his time sitting looking at his garden and didn't want to wait for treatment to work. He was a very good burglar deterrent and we miss him. :lol: He was a lovely old chap. If you look up Hilliers and email them I am sure they would advise you. They have more than one garden centre so possibly one nearer to you.

Kind regards
Coggy
COGGY

Postby RDF Jess » Fri May 29, 2015 12:09 pm

Hi, my name is Jess and I’m a Researcher at RDF Television.

I’m currently working on a new documentary for ITV exploring a variety of issues people can face in their garden and or around their home including boundary disputes, nuisances next door, infestations, pests and weeds, sinkholes, erosion and flooding.

It would be great to have a chat with you and tell you more about the programme.

If you’re interested in finding out more please call Jess on 0207 013 4076.
RDF Jess

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Return to Hedges