Which Bush?

Which Bush?

Postby annette123 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:04 pm

Hello,

Looking for a bit of advice. My fence backs onto a playing ground and footballs are always hitting my fence and making a loud bang. I've been given permission to plant something the other side of the fence so that the balls hit bushes instead of my fence.

Can anyone recommend what I should plant? ideally Something quick growing.

I don't know anything about gardening so any help would be brilliant.

Thanks
Annette
annette123

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Which Bush?

Postby MacadamB53 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:02 pm

Hi annette,

what an odd idea - if the footballers are anything like I was as a kid then whatever is planted won't last long.

surely some posts set back a couple of feet from your fence with some netting strung between them is a quicker, simpler, more immediate, more robust and less labour-intensive solution...

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Postby annette123 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:21 pm

unfortunately its a school and its not within the schools budget and I wouldn't be able to do this myself.
annette123

Postby stufe35 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:36 pm

I would plant leylandi on your side of the fence, they will be protected from unruly school children like mac was when he was young (it's hard to believe mac was ever unruly !) and as they grow the foliage will grow through the fence and cushion the noise.

They are fast growing and cheap, buy the biggest you can afford say 3 to 4 ft. Once established they grow over a foot per year, so in 3-4 years you will have your desired effect. Plant about 2 ft apart. Nov and dec is the perfect planting time.
stufe35

Postby annette123 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:45 pm

thank you. Just googled leylandi that looks like exactly what I need!

Thanks
Annette
annette123

Return to Hedges