Advice on planting a hedge

Advice on planting a hedge

Postby sanctury » Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:06 pm

HI all,

Some may remember I have a NFH who enjoys nothing more than being nasty.

The short version is, criminal damage, theft, threats, sharp objects, dog barking, rotten fence, collapsed render on house, and court.

Now for once this isn't a plea for advice on how to deal with them, simply I've had enough of looking at their rotten, flimsy fence which moves in the wind, is held together by chicken wire and bits of old caravan.

I was looking at a fence, but I would have to loose so much garden to make sure theirs doesn't lean into it I'm not overly keen. So I've decided for a hedge instead. But I have no idea about how to start out. Theres no hedges anywhere else in the garden, so this is a fresh install.

I'm been told a fast growing option is leylandii. I've also heard some horror stories of tam getting out of hand and becoming a mess. I am quite happy keeping them trim, I will be buying a trimmer to keep them in check. Likewise I don't want them to grow too tall either, simply standard fence panel height will do.

Any tips on where to buy the plants, how many I should use to get a decent coverage and any tips on keeping them trim and looking good would be happily received.

Any other suggestions for a hedge also hapy to hear other options too!
sanctury

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Advice on planting a hedge

Postby stufe35 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:13 pm

Buy at garden centre or search hedge plants online. You usually get whips about 500mm high.
For most varieties plant 2 rows about 400mm apart, with plants at about 400mm centres, the rows being offset so the plants are diagonally opposite each other.
Make first row about 700mm from your boundary.
Many varieties I'd suggest hornbeam looks nice and no spikes.
Hawthorn is fastest growing but is spiky not great for garden environment.
Most will grow the rate of about 300mm per year once established. You can maximise growth rate by keeping weeds down and fertilizing.
Use rabbit guards.
Act quickly, now is an ideal time to plant but another month and you'll be getting late.
stufe35

Postby cleo5 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:52 pm

There are all sorts of hedging plants that make good hedges. Leylandii are the fastest growing true but before long they are too high and then harder to keep at reasonable height. Clip them too much and they get brownish patches.
Other s to consider are escallonia, evergreen with red or pink flowers and leaves give off aromatic scent in the warmth.
Or what about a mixed hedge incl. hawthorn, beech, griselina, thuja etc.
Garden centre will advise you what is good for your area. Or there are many garden websites that offer advice on planting and varieties to choose. Sometimes you can get a bargain which might be better if you have a long stretch to hedge.
As has been said hawthorn is prickly but nice creamy white flowers in May and light green foliage when new(not evergreen though). Remember not to trim the hedge during bird nesting season.
When planting dig good- sized holes . Water well in.
If you want leylandii there are some nice lemon scented ones available.
cleo5

Postby COGGY » Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:27 am

We have a griselina and would recommend it. Has beautiful healthy shiny leaves. We have it in a very large pot to restrict growth, after several years it is part way up the bedroom windows (second floor). We also have several portugese laurel forming a hedge along our front boundary. If well watered in dry weather they grow fairly rapidly and look attractive. They do not need a lot of cutting back.
COGGY

Postby COGGY » Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:27 am

We have a griselina and would recommend it. Has beautiful healthy shiny leaves. We have it in a very large pot to restrict growth, after several years it is part way up the bedroom windows (second floor). We also have several portugese laurel forming a hedge along our front boundary. If well watered in dry weather they grow fairly rapidly and look attractive. They do not need a lot of cutting back.
Coggy
COGGY

Return to Hedges