Hedge blocking driveway visibility - help

Re: Hedge blocking driveway visibility - help

Postby duvet » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:02 pm

piss in a bucket and in the middle of the night pour that on the roots of the hedge

over a period time the hedge will stop being a problem

and you've not cut it
duvet

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Postby TO » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:32 pm

Hi

Fertilising the roots won't stop it growing. Pouring your waste over the foliage wouldn't be so good for the tree. Duvet is not the first to come up with this "foolproof" way of killing a hedge.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/cr ... 43641.html

TO
TO

Postby duvet » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:09 pm

must admit it wasn't an original idea

but researched.
duvet

Postby TO » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:29 pm

duvet wrote:but researched.
How?
TO

Postby confused3 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:30 pm

The question is, would you sooner have a potentially serious accident, or risk a fall out with your inconsiderate neighbours?
Take plenty of photographs, keep copies of recorded post that prove you have requested him to take action.

Then cut the hedge back, do not trim it, you do not want to have to do it every month, so cut it back properly. [300mm above ground level] :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
confused3

Postby TO » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:46 pm

Hi

confused3 wrote:Take plenty of photographs, keep copies of recorded post that prove you have requested him to take action. Then cut the hedge back, do not trim it, you do not want to have to do it every month, so cut it back properly. [300mm above ground level]

So let me get this right. What you are suggesting is that you take photos of the hedge to prove that it was in good condition prior to committing criminal damage. As for records of requesting action be taken, well you can request all they like, they don't have to do anything.

Just in case you think that such action is a good idea http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Hanged+ma ... 0112112441

TO
TO

Postby cobdale » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:59 pm

TO wrote:Hi

confused3 wrote:Take plenty of photographs, keep copies of recorded post that prove you have requested him to take action. Then cut the hedge back, do not trim it, you do not want to have to do it every month, so cut it back properly. [300mm above ground level]

So let me get this right. What you are suggesting is that you take photos of the hedge to prove that it was in good condition prior to committing criminal damage. As for records of requesting action be taken, well you can request all they like, they don't have to do anything.

Just in case you think that such action is a good idea http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Hanged+ma ... 0112112441

TO
ha haha I just read that link :x but I still think I would cut the hedge ,make a fuss of the neighbour ,you realised how busy a man he was so you did it as a favour
cobdale

Postby TO » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:18 pm

Hi

cobdale wrote:ha haha I just read that link
That you find the murder of one person and the subsequent suicide of their killer amusing is grossly offensive.
TO

Postby cobdale » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:09 pm

TO wrote:Hi

cobdale wrote:ha haha I just read that link
That you find the murder of one person and the subsequent suicide of their killer amusing is grossly offensive.
well I,m sorry if your offended but when I clicked the link I was,ent expecting to read anything as dramatic as that .were you related to the murderer?
cobdale

Postby arsie » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:30 pm

Well leaving aside this grisly story I would (a) check with Highways what they can do if anything but it sounds like they don't/won't. Then (b) write to the neighbour asking him nicely to trim say 5m back from the highway at a height that allows you to see when driving out on to the highway to enable you to do so safely and without endangering yourself and other road users. I assume this is broadly what you have already said to him and I would refer to that conversation in your letter, sent 'recorded signed for'.

If nothing happens after a further 28 days then hire a chainsaw and trim it yourself. Offer him the clippings - they are his.

edit: I believe cutting someone else's hedge is classed as criminal damage. But a road traffic accident with you to blame, for joining the public highway when you cannot see, might cost a lot more.
arsie

Postby cobdale » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:03 am

I don,t really think it would be criminal damage,it's (I think) a health and safety issue,for it to be criminal there would have to be an intent,I think the police would view it as a civil matter,because really what's the damage? what ever you have cut is going to grow back,if the edge is past the edge of your drive,for example going onto the drop kerb ,footpath area ,it comes under highways. I would cut it ,if your neighbour carries on,apologise (jobs done) kiss his arse a bit ,then plan your strategy for the next time you will need to do it
cobdale

Postby TO » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:15 am

Hi

cobdale wrote:well I,m sorry if your offended but when I clicked the link I was,ent expecting to read anything as dramatic as that .were you related to the murderer?
Your personal skills are somewhat lacking. I suggest you stick to the subject instead of insulting people.

cobdale wrote:I don,t really think it would be criminal damage
Yes it is, and the police may well be interested. There's nothing to stop the person growing a hedge as high or as wide as they like adjacent the highway, as long as it doesn't overhang it. If it does then it's a matter for the highway authority.

TO
TO

Postby cobdale » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:56 am

well if people are sensitive that's not my problem ,I apologised to you,I can,t carry on kissing your arse and as for the criminal damage your wrong,I share a row with someone who narrowed it with a garden dustbin area and utility building up o e side ,and just before Xmas I flattened the lot with a machine plenty police came and they did mention criminal damage ,the other man even asked them to arrest me for it they said its civil and left,had I took any materials off site I could have been charged with theft,I sorted my position out in law before I did it ,
cobdale

Postby arsie » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:06 am

JFDI (just f...ing do it). But don't take the clippings they are his. As Cobdale says, that would be theft :lol:
arsie

Postby COGGY » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:22 pm

Have you thought of contacting the local newspaper? Pointing out the danger and the fact that the Council have not acted. If nothing else it may embarrass your neighbour. Also have you contacted your local Councillor to see if they can help?
Coggy
COGGY

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

PreviousNext

Return to Hedges