Bamboo...Hegde, shrub or tree?

Postby jen » Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:14 pm

I had no choice re the police as I was told by the soliciter I spoke to that I had to have an incident no.In the area I live in the police visit for each incident that is reported to them.
jen

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Postby carpinus » Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:30 pm

In my previous life I had reason to be in touch with the county force fairly regularly. An 'incident no.' was allocated where details were recorded but not followed up. A 'crime no.' was allocated where there was to be action.
carpinus

Re: Bamboo...Hegde, shrub or tree?

Postby luvbamboo » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:16 am

jungle fever

please can you say how you found bamboo is classified as a grass?
does this affect the hedge act?
thanks in anticipation....we have lots of bamboo but our neighbour is from 10 feet higher than us to 30 feet
luvbamboo

Postby despair » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:49 pm

Bamboo is not considered to be a hedge etc as defined under the High Hedge Law

If your neighbour is 10 to 30ft higher than you how did that come about and what supports their land

i would have thought in that circumstance you could even grow leylandi without your higher neighbour being able to file complaints under high hedge law

but the very tall bamboos would seem to be best solution
despair

Postby TO » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:08 pm

Hi

luvbamboo wrote:jungle fever
please can you say how you found bamboo is classified as a grass?
does this affect the hedge act?
thanks in anticipation....we have lots of bamboo but our neighbour is from 10 feet higher than us to 30 feet
See high hedges Complaints Prevention and Cure

http://www.communities.gov.uk/publicati ... complaints

Which says
Mostly evergreen or semi-evergreen
4.9 The Act applies not only to Leyland cypress or conifers but also includes other evergreen trees
or shrubs, such as laurel. It does not include climbing plants, such as ivy, or bamboo – which is
classed as a grass

TO
TO

Postby Roblewis » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:13 pm

Good news about bamboo is that the culms (canes) reach their full height in 1 season growing - Thus your culms next year will also be 4-5metres high by the end of August
Roblewis

Postby Totaly Amazed » Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:19 pm

Was thinking about getting a bamboo and I'm pleased to read they reach full height in a year Rob. Read about a black one that isn't invasive, but do you know how deep they go.
Totaly Amazed

Postby despair » Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:23 pm

Bamboo take a little longer than a year to reach full height IMHE even with lots of water and compost

What you need to ensure is you buy Clump forming varieties and generally the roots tend to stay in top 6 inches of soil

you could of course sink large old containers of some sort in the ground keeping the tops about 3 inches above soil level then the bamboos will stay contained
despair

Postby Totaly Amazed » Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:47 pm

Thanks despair, I have read about barriers to stop them but the depth is also important in my case.
Totaly Amazed

Postby TOTOO » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:31 pm

Just a point of note - There are lterally hundreds of different species and varieties of bamboo, all with different ultimate heights and growing speeds. Do your research.
TOTOO

Postby Roblewis » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:09 pm

Despair

If a plant is already producing 4m culms it will continue to produce 4m culms in the following growing seasons. They are a grass and each individual stem will reach its full height in a single season, they will not get taller the following years. This is established plants however, as per OP. New plants do take time to produce maximum height culms which I think is what you are referring to.

This is one of the plants that really do benefit from regular foliar feeding.

Phyllostachys niger - black bamboo - is good but is invasive and you can purchase root barrier material to limit this. You can also cut off the runners as necessary.
Roblewis

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Previous

Return to Hedges