Advice please before planting Leylandii

Advice please before planting Leylandii

Postby KATIE » Sun May 08, 2005 11:38 pm

I am wanting advice to avoid problems. To the back boundary of our garden from the back of the house is 100 ft. There is a 30 ft gap in the top of the right hand side of the privet which according to plans is our boundary. I have bought leylandii which I intend to plant to fill the gap. I will be cutting the leylandii to same height and depth as privet (approximately 6 ft high). There are old concete posts bedded within privet hedge. Do I plant leylandii within exposed concrete posts at top of garden or do I plant to my side of concrete posts. I basically don't want to cause problems but intend to make this top 30ft of garden a kind of children's den. There is a big old apple tree up there already. The garden runs upwards away from the house. I suspect our next door neighbours took the privet out to grow fruit etc but I do like privacy. Neighbour has already spotted leylandii and has had a go at my other half about them and that if I intend planting them I will have to plant at least 2 ft inside my side of the posts and then mentioned what ugly things they are. Well I agree they can be when allowed to just grow and grow. I intend going round tomorrow for a chat with him but just wanted clarification to make sure I am doing the right thing.
KATIE

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Postby Cytania » Mon May 09, 2005 9:42 am

First off if you still have the receipt return the leylandii to the garden centre and exchange it for a less troublsome plant such as privet or lonicera. Leylandii has a reputation for causing disputes, even when well cared for it's a red rag to some neighbours.

Second plant well back from the concrete posts you have found. Perserve these posts and take photos, they are invaluable proof of where the true property boundary lies. If you plant close to these your neighbour will be able to cut right up close to the centre of your new hedge and make it brown and lopsided.
They cut down all the trees, put 'em in a tree museum and charged all the people just to see 'em
Cytania

Postby Beech » Mon May 09, 2005 11:33 am

Cytania wrote:First off if you still have the receipt return the leylandii to the garden centre and exchange it for a less troublsome plant

Yes, look around at the choices. RSPB http://www.rspb.org.uk/gardens/guide/plants/index.asp suggests varieties to encourage wildlife. Hawthorn and holly make good hedges. Mixed shrubs chosen for colour and flowers will trim to make a good hedge. Beech makes a good barrier and is inexpensive.

You wil only need around 10 plants.

Leylandii easily gets out of control and will not tolerate being cut back.

Leave, and photograph the posts and think about putting a fence topped with trellis and grow climbers along it, honeysuckles, roses or clematis
Beech

Return to Hedges