Soil Type ?

Soil Type ?

Postby sammy » Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:19 pm

Could somebody please tell me where i go/what i do to find out what soil type i have?
sammy

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Postby despair » Fri Jun 03, 2005 3:13 am

You can get testing kits for acid or alkali soil from any garden supplies shop

As for the rest dig some up and feel it
your soil will either be moist and peaty
dry and sandy
chalky
heavy and full of clay

If you dig deeper you should find out whether the sub soil is different

depending on what you find will give you answers as to what will grow and how much compost you need to start making to improve matters
despair

Postby Cytania » Fri Jun 03, 2005 1:37 pm

A living test kit is the common hydrangea plant, plant one and give it a few months for garden centre treatment to wear off. If it is blue your soil is acid. If it goes pink then you are neutral to alkaline.

Take a look at what your neighbours are growing. If they have rhododendrons, asian lilies, enkianthus that look lush and healthy then acid soil is likely. If they are growing vegetables without telltale bags of lime then alkaline is likely.

However remember that acidity can vary even across a small plot. Land that used to be woodland is often acid even in clay (neutral) areas. Don't get too hung up on testing devices, buy good all round plants (eg with the RHS AGM cup symbol) and find out what does well in your micro-environment.
They cut down all the trees, put 'em in a tree museum and charged all the people just to see 'em
Cytania

Postby sammy » Fri Jun 03, 2005 1:48 pm

Thanks for those replies, i should have stated that my question was due to the close proximity of conifers to my house. i will dig and check

Many thanks
sammy

Postby despair » Fri Jun 03, 2005 3:47 pm

Well if its in close proximity to conifers dont even think of trying to grow anything
Conifers strip the soil of every nutrient then they coat their roots in a fungal growth which allows them to double strip the soil and poor resin into it so its virtually impervious to rain water etc

The whole reason that so many people are anti leylandii and high hedges etc is the devastation they create for the neighbour on the other side

If they are your neighbours conifers the best you can do is dig a trench down the boundary to a depth of 2 ft aquire some old 2ft paving slabs and slam them in tight to block the roots then pile in tons and tons of compost and you might just get something to grow
despair

Postby xoggoth » Fri Jun 03, 2005 8:54 pm

Where ya been despair? How are those carniverous Japanese(?) hedge plants doing? I trust they are already taking small neighbourhood cats.
xoggoth

Postby despair » Fri Jun 03, 2005 10:08 pm

Try pesky Japanese bits in my computer ..........time expired like all modern gadgets
despair

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Return to Hedges