conifer

conifer

Postby pitstop » Sat Jun 04, 2005 5:26 pm

I wonder if anyone can offer any advice.

We are having our garden renovated (if we can get around the problems our neighbour is creating for the hell of it). This involves completely enclosing the garden with a wall. Currently, there is a rather delapedated fence in situ.

My worry is, they have a confier which is currently about 20 feet tall, only about a foot away from the fence's current position. I am concerned as to what damage this may do, if any to any wall built.

They do nothing to trim or maintain this tree, it is just left to grow. I do wonder if this tree will have to go as I presume that the root system will already be under the fence so will give our builder problems when digging foundations. I have no idea where we stand legally as these people are not nice :(
pitstop

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: conifer

Postby Raymond » Sat Jun 04, 2005 5:36 pm

pitstop wrote:I wonder if anyone can offer any advice.

We are having our garden renovated (if we can get around the problems our neighbour is creating for the hell of it). This involves completely enclosing the garden with a wall. Currently, there is a rather delapedated fence in situ.

My worry is, they have a confier which is currently about 20 feet tall, only about a foot away from the fence's current position. I am concerned as to what damage this may do, if any to any wall built.

They do nothing to trim or maintain this tree, it is just left to grow. I do wonder if this tree will have to go as I presume that the root system will already be under the fence so will give our builder problems when digging foundations. I have no idea where we stand legally as these people are not nice :(

you can not dictate if the tree has to go. you may as you wish cut through and remove any rootes that encroach on your property, nothing more.
David
Raymond

Postby pitstop » Sat Jun 04, 2005 9:08 pm

Hi David,

Thanks for your reply, in reality, the only reason I would want the tree gone is that, the tree is only about 15 feet from our patio doors and in our line of vision from our lounge, the tree is what we see instead of sky (about half the width of the patio doors).

We certainly won't do anything that is even slightly dodgy, we are sticking to the rule book since it is our neighbour that is being difficult, we don't want any.

Thanks again
pitstop

Postby despair » Sat Jun 04, 2005 10:23 pm

If i were you i would dig the boundary NOW and cut off every single root

Then delay any building of the wall till autumn

given a hot summer the conifer could well suffer ........lots of trees already have problems because of a dry spring and lots of wind and late frost

That way the tree should be showing signs of stress before you start on that wall
despair

Postby Countryman » Sun Jun 05, 2005 12:52 am

Possibly a different viewpoint......

Many people have to look out at the neighbours brick walls or are directly overlooked from the neighbours bedroom windows. This is seemingly getting worse because of John Prescotts insistance that developers have a higher intensity to their planned developments.

If you have clay soil then it may be advisable to obtain professional advice re threat concerning possible future subsidence issues as a result of the growing tree. If there are no subsidence issues highlighted (i.e you're on sandy soil) I would think that you are fortunate to be looking out at a tree rather than being overlooked directly by neighbours windows.

I guess that all situations are relative and subject to interpretation.

Countryman
Countryman

Return to Hedges