The Fastest Growing Shrubs/Hedges.

The Fastest Growing Shrubs/Hedges.

Postby Stargazer » Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:43 pm

I wonder if anyone can help me!

I have just recently moved into my new home which has a tiny back garden because the previous owners have built such a large extension.

This however if is not my concern, as I know wonders can be made to smaller gardens as much as bigger ones. The only trouble is, the houses over the back are so close because the gardens in the area I now live are small as it is, and I am nearer to these neighbours due the extension.

SO!

I am looking to obtain as many fast growing climbers, trees or shrubs (evergreen would be an advantage), without taking up too much width but can benefit from a bit of hight to obtain a wee bit of privacy. There are currently no plants in the garden at present, it is mearly a pation with a fence!! I don't want to go buying without advice should I get the wrong sort for such a small space!

Any ideas folks? I would appreciate any help. :wink:
Stargazer

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Postby xoggoth » Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:38 pm

My gardening abilities are zero but think most trees/shrubs in garden centres these days are clearly labelled with max height and rate of growth.
My view of the law may be incorrect, but it will certainly be more logical than the reality. (Reality may not be that prevailing in this dimension)
xoggoth

Postby hzatph » Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:21 am

At the risk of having others object, try Russian Vine for a very fast growing tough climber. It is rampant and you will be very rapidly cutting it back vigorously.
hzatph

Postby despair » Sun Nov 11, 2007 3:04 pm

Your soil conditions will be one factor but generally

1) Pyracantha makes a thorny/burglar proof but maneageable fast headge which can be kept slim and has 3 colours of berries to feed the birds in the winter .......evergreen

2) Leylandi of course but they are high maintenance

3) Photinia Red Robin is georgous and fast but its not good on sandy dry soils .......evergreen

4) Variegated Eleagnus is preety fast as are laurels .....evergreen

5) Variegated privet is fast and easily controlled .......basically evergreen

6) Honeysuckles on a trellis or up poles and wires , also clematis armandii (lovely white flowers in spring ) evergreen

7) Clematis Montana ......not quite as rampant as Russian vine and more controllable with pink or apricot flowers in spring ......not evergreen

8) Solanum .......the blue/mauve flowered variety is pretty fast and with initial support produces a dense fairly high barrier ......the white one takes longer ......both are evergreen

All are easily available many in supermarkets and they are cheap
despair

Postby Stargazer » Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:21 pm

Ah thanks for all your help guys! I am now on the case for purchasing some of these babies! :lol: :wink:
Stargazer

Postby stringrae » Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:01 am

Hi Stargazer having just moved from London where I had a small patio garden - I would strongly recommend not to plant Russian Vine its a nightmare and grows and grows and before you know whats happened it will be in your neighbours garden and they will be complaining - trust me had one - couldnt kill it either - poured engine oil down the roots and it still grew. It grew overnight its an extraordinary plant!

Try an evergreen pretty fast growing clematis called Amahdi (not sure of spelling) its a great fence coverer and its a beautiful plant - its one of the few evergreens and has beautiful flowers in the spring - your garden centre will know it. You could also grow Jasmin - again quite fast growing and evergreen with beautiful sweet smelling flowers. Passion Flower also a good one - again quite fast growing, evergreen with lovely flowers. Hydrangeas (shrubs)do great in small gardens especially if they are not very light and also Peris.

Embrace your small garden - I made mine like a little haven and it was especially beautiful at night.
stringrae

Postby despair » Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:00 pm

Could not agree more about Russian Vine ........deadly stuff

Clematis Armandii is exactly what I have already recomended

Its only drawback is leaves tend to go brown and drop easily which is unattractive
despair

Postby Stargazer » Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:37 pm

Thanks for the advice guys I appreciate your help! :wink:
Stargazer

Postby Beech » Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:38 pm

remember that if you plant something that's fast growing it will always be fast growing. That "metre a year" might be a blessing now, but once you've achieved what you want it'll still carry on growing at a metre a year and need a lot of maintenance.
Beech

Re: The Fastest Growing Shrubs/Hedges.

Postby LancashireLily » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:37 pm

Hi,
Don't forget that you can also use "other" things to create privacy, such as a small gazebo or summerhouse, wigwam cane structures placed skilfully, you can even use sheds to screen something out,
In terms of plants I would be looking for as much evergreen ones as possible if it is privacy which is your main objective, no point having that well earned privacy just in the few short summer months that we get in the UK,
Good options
Jasmine
Eleagnus
Evergreen Cotoneaster trees
Laurel
Holly
Try to do a backbone of screening, and if you struggle to find lots of different options/choices then consider just using two types of plants for this skeleton but ones you are happy with and use them over and over again, this can look stunning,
Then in front you can be more creative, you can then use other slow growing things for colour and form where privacy is less the priority.
Tuck your small summerhouse amongst all your plants, lay some crushed slate at its feet and hey presto you are on your way a lovely mini oasis, consider also using lots of pots with plants in, that way you can move them around to suit, place them in areas where nosy neighbours are lol, In fact plant some bamboo (tall) in pots and plonk em in your garden now, problem solved overnight :o)
Good luck, I have loads of plant names/lists for you, but for now I think you will be OK, you are getting lots of good advice, dont forget to look at structures though as well as plants, metal ones look lovely. :D
LancashireLily

Re: The Fastest Growing Shrubs/Hedges.

Postby appledore » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:16 pm

I'd go for evergreen climbers so you have privacy all year round. Some really big pots with bamboos would look lovely, and if you put uplighters in the pots they'd make a lovely feature at night too.
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Return to Hedges