house number at end of shared drive

house number at end of shared drive

Postby portmoon » Tue May 09, 2017 5:54 pm

We share a private driveway with another house. We're at the bottom of it - so the wall adjoining, and at the road-end of the driveway belongs to them.

We're tucked away so delivery drivers can't see our house form the road and can only see the neighbours number on the wall at the end of the drive.

We only just recently moved in and I realised a few delivery drivers were having problems finding the house, so I put a small (8cm x 6cm) number on the wall at the end of the drive.

I did it without thinking, and without discussing it with the neighbours.

One of them came round almost immediately and said to my other half that they were not happy with the number being there and could we take it down. My other half was a bit taken aback and just said OK.

I went round immediately and apologised and took it down as I didn't ant to cause a fuss and could see why they were annoyed - it's their wall, and that bit of the drive is theirs. But there is nowhere else I can put a number to direct delivery drivers to our house.

It's been bugging me ever since. What would other people do? maybe I should just let it drop? Couriers will find our house eventually on google maps anyway.
portmoon

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: house number at end of shared drive

Postby despair » Tue May 09, 2017 6:27 pm

i would ask the neighbours for a suggestion as to where they would be happy or consider you could put a house sign /number
they sound very touchy and unreasonable
despair

Postby appledore » Tue May 09, 2017 7:49 pm

Hi portmoon, We are in the same situation. We're tucked away at the end of a neighbour's drive too. We've lived here for twenty years, and we haven't had problems with couriers finding us. They might moan a bit, but they manage to find us. When you order something there's often the opportunity to give delivery instructions, and if there is we explain
where we are.
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Postby mr sheen » Tue May 09, 2017 8:13 pm

You have no right to attach anything to someone else's property. Therefore the neighbours are not being unreasonable they are just asserting their rights.

It is up to you to give detailed instructions for deliveries. Many rural properties are difficult to find without any signage and then down long farm tracks etc but detailed directions mean that deliveries get there.

If you really want a number or similar then you can always negotiate the rental of space on the wall. Money talks. If you really want something, a price can often be negotiated....only you can decide whether it provides value for money or not.
mr sheen

Postby stufe35 » Tue May 09, 2017 9:40 pm

It would have been wise to ask first...time will tell whether they are just letting you know what's theirs, or whether this is the beginning of a long saga of one thing after another.....I speak from (bitter) experience
stufe35

Postby Clifford Pope » Wed May 10, 2017 12:41 pm

Under delivery details put "Ask at no. X for directions" and your neighbour may start to see the sense of allowing a sign.
Clifford Pope

Postby portmoon » Wed May 10, 2017 10:04 pm

Thanks for all the replies. I think I'll just leave it. Don't want to make it into a big deal - as suggested, I just need to put detailed delivery instructions when I order stuff online. I'm sure if I'd asked first they would probably have said yes so it's my own fault for being an idiot! Feel like the moment has passed now... :roll:
portmoon

Postby arborlad » Wed May 31, 2017 10:27 am

portmoon wrote:We're tucked away so delivery drivers can't see our house form the road and can only see the neighbours number on the wall at the end of the drive.

A lot would depend on what's there at the moment, is it getting a bit tired and faded?............if so, an offer to fund one sign with two numbers and two arrows might be acceptable.
arborlad

smile...it confuses people
arborlad

Postby beardsince1978 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:49 pm

Hi,

I sympathise also having NfH next door, although I think mine is worse :-).

So if this is at the end of the drive is it highway verge on the side of the wall? Why not a free standing sign on the grass? Or on a post driven in the grass? Just the verge side of the wall so in effect same as having it on the wall. I'd also check with highways if the land is actually highways owned. The grass in front of me is in fact manorial waste land, no known owner so no one to object to a sign. And if the council actually object to your sign then I would say well you put up a road sign instead. It's common to see signs like "Little Whinging 1-4".

I wouldn't make delivery drivers the prime issue but emergency vehicles such as fire or ambulance. Ambulances use sat navs and at my house, when my mother was ill and and ambulance was called she had to be left on her own while someone went down to the end of the drive to flag down the ambulance which couldn't find the place. All sat navs given our post code and house number end up 1/4 of a mile away, but then the numbering of the village seems to be as the houses were built so it's not logical.
beardsince1978

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Return to Rights of Way