Cutting back growth at gate entrance

Cutting back growth at gate entrance

Postby Stumbler » Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:36 pm

I have a farm in which there is a property that belongs to someone else. Consequently, they have access up my track to their house. the hedgerow surrounding their property belongs to me and is cut back once a year. their gate is set between my hedgerow and whilst was perhaps a little overgrown, in no way impeded their access into their drive. Today, I have came home to discover that my neighbours have cut back the end of the hedge (square to their gates) to allow them to enter without vegetation overhanging their entrance. I'm just wondering if it is legal for them to do that, or whether it constitutes criminal damage? Needless to say, we are not on speaking terms...!

Many thanks in advance.
Stumbler

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Cutting back growth at gate entrance

Postby mr sheen » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:55 pm

Absolutely they can cut back overhanging vegetation to the full extent of their right of way ie right up to the gate posts, to enable them to fully enjoy their right of way. They don't have to provide any notice.
mr sheen

Postby ukmicky » Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:38 am

Yes they can.

The law says you are under no legal obligation to maintain their ROW or cut back any natural plant growth interfering with it. . As you are under no obligation to maintain the ROW and cut back any natural plant growth the law says they must have the right to maintain and cut back any plant growth that interferes with their ROW.

So don't get the hump with them just because they have done something they are legally allowed to do.
Advice given is not legally qualified and you are advised to gain a professional opinion
ukmicky

Postby Stumbler » Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:04 pm

Many thanks for the replies, it's good to know where we both stand.

Stumbler
Stumbler

Return to Rights of Way