Surveillance of right of way

Surveillance of right of way

Postby Stan d'Alone » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:20 am

The deeds to our house show a right of way from the pavement to the back door. The deeds simply state that there is a right of way on foot and there are no other qualifications. The neighbour has put surveillance cameras on the side of his house which capture images of everyone using our back door. I understand that CCTV cameras are exempt from Data Protection Act legislation if they are only pointed at land belonging to the cameras' operator. The question is whether we and visitors to the house (a private residence) who use the private right of way from the pavement to our door are entitled to privacy and therefore that the neighbour is breaking the law by capturing images of them, even though the land over which the path goes belongs to the neighbour.
Stan d'Alone

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Surveillance of right of way

Postby SwitchRich » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:57 pm

From what I have read on this forum your neighbour is fully entitled to put a camera up to survey his property. I don't think you can claim entitlement to privacy here at all. But perhaps someone on here who might know more could chip in.
Is there a reason for the camera? Has there been a dispute recently? Or has the camera always been there?
SwitchRich

Re: Surveillance of right of way

Postby Stan d'Alone » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:35 pm

He put the cameras in originally because he wanted to monitor where his neighbours put their bins. He was then picked up by the council for making unauthorised alterations to a listed building, which his house is. He was granted planning permission and claims the cameras are for security, though they don't actually cover his back entrance - only the path to our back door. He has been in dispute with another neighbour who uses the same right of way to her back door and IMO put the cameras up in order to harass her.
Stan d'Alone

Return to Rights of Way