Neighbour CCTV camera pointing at our property

This forum is for Garden Law problems that don't fit into the other categories. Please treat it with respect.

Moderator: Angelisle

Neighbour CCTV camera pointing at our property

Postby amun1000 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:56 pm

Hi
Our neighbour has a CCTV camera that is pointing at our land and property what can we do? We have tried asking her to remove it but she refuses. No portion of the view contains her property as it is over our garden and residential property. Every time we walk out the door she can monitor our activity. We feel intimidated and being watched. Regards and TIA
amun1000

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Neighbour CCTV camera pointing at our property

Postby Collaborate » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:43 pm

You can contact the police, who might agree to have a word with her. Don't do it on a Saturday night though.
Collaborate

Postby jdfi » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:43 pm

There's also the ICO
jdfi

Postby thin and crispy » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:50 pm

Hello amun1000. The law has changed in the last couple of years. Now, even domestic/residential CCTV systems (as opposed to commercial/business systems) have to comply with the Data Protection Act. This means that if even part of a camera's field of view covers land outside the owner's property, the owner must register with the Information Commissioner's Office. It doesn't matter whether the overlooked land is a private garden, field, public footpath or park, the owner must still register. It's an offence not to register; and the ICO's guidelines must all be adhered to as well. Basically, these say that reasonable steps must be taken to minimise intrusion and invasion of privacy wherever possible. You might want to read up further (just Google ICO and CCTV together), and contact the ICO to see whether they can offer any help or advice.

Also, as Collaborate says, the police might help - especially if you can persuade them the camera amounts to harassment.

A neighbour complained to the police about my CCTV (which I had put up because of damage they had repeatedly caused), even though the cameras weren't overlooking their property. The police came to check them out and gave me the OK - but they did come. (Actually they have come look at my footage repeatedly as one camera does unavoidably overlook the footpath at the front and has twice captured images of local yobs trying to break into cars at night.)
Prejudice, not being founded on reason, cannot be removed by argument. Samuel Johnson.
thin and crispy

Postby amun1000 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:58 am

Thanks for all you replies - I think I'll check out the ICO and contact the police

Andrew
amun1000

Return to General Topics