FAQ : Clean Neighbourhoods Environment Act 2005

This forum is for Garden Law problems that don't fit into the other categories. Please treat it with respect.

Moderator: Angelisle

FAQ : Clean Neighbourhoods Environment Act 2005

Postby Angelisle » Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:14 am

Clean Neighbourhoods and Environment Act 2005
Provides local authorities, parish and community councils and the Environment Agency with more effective powers and tools to tackle poor environmental quality and anti-social behaviour. In particular the Act includes sections on crime and disorder, nuisance and abandoned vehicles, litter, graffiti, waste, noise and dogs.
www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts2005/20050016.htm
www.defra.gov.uk/environment/localenv/leqbill/index.htm

Neighbourhood Environment
There is no law that says people have to be tidy, if the view from your window is spoilt by the state of your neighbour's garden and a friendly word has no effect, there may be nothing you can do. Local Council’s have powers under the Town and Country Planning Act 1990 to clean up the areas it controls. It may consider a highly visible mess to be ruining the amenity and beauty of the neighbourhood, in which case you may even persuade the council to remove the rubbish, for which the neighbour found guilty of the transgression will have to pay.
The law will certainly help if rats and mice are infesting the rubbish. Under the Prevention of Damage by Pests Act 1949, the council can serve a notice demanding its removal, and your neighbour could face a fine if he does not comply. Your local authority officials, such as the Environmental Health Officers, can enter a home if they suspect that there has been a breach of public health regulations, or of by-laws on sanitation. They also have the power to inspect houses for pests such as mice and rats, having given 24 hours' notice, if however the householder does not admit them they can apply for a warrant authorising entry by force.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/HomeAndCommunity/fs/en
Last edited by Angelisle on Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Angelisle

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Postby Angelisle » Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:48 pm

Update to include links to Clean Neighbourhoods and Environment Act 2005
www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts2005/20050016.htm
www.defra.gov.uk/environment/localenv/leqbill/index.htm
Angelisle

Re: FAQ : Clean Neighbourhoods Environment Act 2005

Postby RUHEAP » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:17 pm

i have to smile when i read about clean neighbourhood act...... my neighbour authorised fly tipping in 2000...11 years ago....filthy stinking solids and toxic fluids dumped on my local water catchment garden...100 tons plus.. it just goes on..last lot cost £1675 to
remove. actually shot a large rat last week. they urinate all over making anything deadly to touch if one has a cut.i have already been rushed to frimley park hospital after slicing my calf down to an artery..now a cripple.....this week have asked if my rates
could be lowered to pay for the years of ongoing rubbish removal ....rgds ruheap.... snr single pensioner.
RUHEAP

Return to General Topics