Private messaging.

This forum is for Garden Law problems that don't fit into the other categories. Please treat it with respect.

Moderator: Angelisle

Private messaging.

Postby arborlad » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:42 pm

For Admin - an announcement that Private Messaging has been reinstated would help all members, especially the newer ones.
arborlad

smile...it confuses people
arborlad

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Private messaging.

Postby arsie » Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:20 am

If it works - see pilman's post. I just sent you a test PM arborlad ...
arsie

Postby arborlad » Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:46 am

Received your PM arsie.

pilman wrote:Well, PM doesn't seem to be working as I have nothing in my in box.

Perhaps someone coul dexplain when and why did the e-mail facility get removed from Garden Law?

Pilman, I had no idea the e-mail facility had been removed, it's not something I've used so less likely to have noticed its loss.
arborlad

arborlad

Postby arborlad » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:37 pm

I have enabled the e-mail facility - no visible signs of it though!
arborlad

arborlad

Re: Private messaging and e-mails.

Postby arborlad » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:42 am

BUMP
arborlad

arborlad

Postby pilman » Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:17 pm

It would be really useful if the e-mail tab was returned to the screen beneath each posters last posting.

Is there anybody within Garden Law who can organise that, please?
pilman

Postby arborlad » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:07 am

pilman wrote:It would be really useful if the e-mail tab was returned to the screen beneath each posters last posting.

Is there anybody within Garden Law who can organise that, please?

It's now been five days since any sort of Moderator presence on the forum, not looking good for an early resolution.
arborlad

arborlad

Postby boeingman » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:47 pm

arborlad wrote:It's now been five days since any sort of Moderator presence on the forum.

Yay anarchy :D
boeingman

Postby arborlad » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:05 pm

boeingman wrote:
arborlad wrote:It's now been five days since any sort of Moderator presence on the forum.

Yay anarchy :D

Sshhh - don't tell anyone.............. :wink:
arborlad

arborlad

Postby arsie » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:27 pm

The site owners will gain revenue from advertisers proportionate to the site activity - visits, page clicks etc. Supporting the users is an overhead or cost - it takes time and effort. Or not, as the case may be :roll:
arsie

Postby ukmicky » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:40 pm

The revenue they would earn through advertising wouldn't be great.
Advice given is not legally qualified and you are advised to gain a professional opinion
ukmicky

Postby gardenlaw » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:56 am

Hi Everyone
Apologies for not replying sooner but we have had a death in the family so we hope you will understand.

As ukmicky says the advertising revenue from gardenlaw is not great. It serves to cover the costs of running the site and is run as a service to the public and to our loyal members who for many years have contributed and built this valuable resource to what it is today.

And that is how we see gardenlaw - as a resource. As a resource the responses to problems need to be visible and transparent. We have never been happy with advice being given privately as it cannot be scrutinised as to its accuracy. Indeed as we all know the law can be interpreted in different ways and from different view points depending on the experience and qualifications of who gives the advice.

Members' emails were removed from gardenlaw a number of weeks ago. We cannot go into details on an open forum about our reasons for doing this but the bottom line was to protect the anonymity of our members.

A number of years ago Private Messaging was also removed because of concerns that PMs were being used to give unscrutinised advice outside of the forum. On request, PMs were returned to most members.We understand that some of you want to give private advice outside the public forum. May be at this point the OP should be refered to a solicitor? Advice through private messaging is not something we want to encourage or broadcast to new members.

Indeed, if there is a need for private advice, do you feel gardenlaw should offer an alternative fee paying service for private advice from qualified and insured lawyers, experts etc? Your views on this would be appreciated.

best wishes
gardenlaw
gardenlaw
Site Admin

Postby COGGY » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:16 pm

Would it be possible for Garden Law to hold a Register of members who it is felt are qualified to give private advice on specific subjects? There are some members who are extremely well qualified to give private advice and have stated their willingness to do so. Sometimes it is advisable to keep certain details out of the public domain for reasons of privacy. I appreciate that this would make more work for Garden Law but it should be easy to say who is actually qualified and who is not. Garden Law would also need to add a disclaimer to the list. Any member applying to be added to the list must be prepared to produce their qualifications to Garden Law.

Legal advice is costly and it would seem a shame not to allow help, which is free, to be given by anyone who is well qualified to do so.

Regards
Coggy
COGGY

Postby arborlad » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:53 pm

gardenlaw wrote:Hi Everyone
Apologies for not replying sooner but we have had a death in the family so we hope you will understand.

best wishes
gardenlaw

My sincere condolences on your loss.

There are points you raise which might be better addressed at a later time.
arborlad

arborlad

Postby pilman » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:27 pm

A number of years ago Private Messaging was also removed because of concerns that PMs were being used to give unscrutinised advice outside of the forum. On request, PMs were returned to most members.
I noted in that posting that Gardenlaw confirmed that PM is returned to "most" members.

On 22nd February a poster who had a specific query about planning matters stated in a posting that a PM had been sent to me.
I have never received any such PM, so I am now assuming that I was not one of the members reinstated to the PM service, probably because I do sometimes offer advice to a poster when I think matters that should remain confidential can be dealt with on a personal level.

If it is considered that this is contrary to the policy of Garden Law, then I will have to accept that as a matter of policy, but offering free advice based on over 40 years practical experience and knowledge of planning law, highway law, land law and even matters regarding private Inclosure Acts that can have an affect on land, was a way of helping people who could then instruct a solictor after having certain facts of law pointed out to them.

Corresponding to a planning officer, or to a highway authority is not always a matter that a solicitor has any more knowledge about than an experienced retired planning consultant who has far more time to research any queries raised by a poster on Garden Law.

Having just looked at the date when I first posted on Garden Law, it appears that my fifth anniversary is soon imminent, so if all future involvement is to be solely as a responder on the web-site, I will always try and offer the best advice I think possible from a non-qualified retiree.

I was once asked by a solictor when I corresponded with him about a letter he had sent, "What are your qualifications"
I replied that I read, write and understand English, so that I can refer to my library of law books when I need to refute unfounded allegations stated as fact.

When dealing with a 40 year old qualified solicitor, did nearly 40 years of actual experience in dealing with land and property have any benefit?
pilman

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Next

Return to General Topics