Water Meters - Affinity has notified us they want to install

This forum is for Garden Law problems that don't fit into the other categories. Please treat it with respect.

Moderator: Angelisle

Water Meters - Affinity has notified us they want to install

Postby SwitchRich » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:49 pm

Hello Garden Law,
Wondered if anyone has an knowledge they could share on this whole water metering push?
I live in Hertfordshire and am supplied by Affinity Water. We've had a letter saying they they want to install a meter and we will be notified when they will be doing it.
Does anyone on here have on already? Has anyone here managed to fight this off or is it inevitable?
I am personally not that keen on the idea of all these smart meters but that more to do with the privacy side of things.

Any thoughts welcome! :)

Rich
SwitchRich

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Water Meters - Affinity has notified us they want to ins

Postby despair » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:45 pm

i refuse point blank to have a smart meter for lecky or gas as big brother will know when you are away etc then
plus seimens came wanting to fit one and said they were reconditioned !!!!
guess which order of the boot they got especially since lightning strikes are common where i live thing would not last 2 minutes

i do have a water meter and that sure saves a fortune but all depends on number in family and whether you use a hose in the garden
i have waterbutts on every downpipe so get a discount for waste water
despair

Postby Janieb » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:41 pm

I only have a water meter and that is reluctantly. They wanted to install one 11 years ago as per government guidelines but the main feeds 5 households. They turned up anyway but the meters at the time couldn't be fitted under those circumstances.

I've now had an internal meter fitted as I'm a single person living on my own and the charges I was paying based on the rateable value of my house were outrageous.

Oh, and after they'd fitted it I've had to call in a plumber twice. Once because they'd got debris in the system that stopped my loo from flushing and the one I missed at the time, a leak where the meter is fitted.
"I prefer rogues to imbeciles, because they sometimes take a rest" Alexandre Dumas (fils)
Janieb

Postby ukmicky » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:07 am

SwitchRich wrote:Hello Garden Law,
Wondered if anyone has an knowledge they could share on this whole water metering push?
I live in Hertfordshire and am supplied by Affinity Water. We've had a letter saying they they want to install a meter and we will be notified when they will be doing it.
Does anyone on here have on already? Has anyone here managed to fight this off or is it inevitable?
I am personally not that keen on the idea of all these smart meters but that more to do with the privacy side of things.

Any thoughts welcome! :)

Rich
The company can install a meter but without your agreement but they can only charge your water use as a metered supply if any of the below apply. So be careful what you sign. The best way would be to let them install it but refuse to change how you are charged and then using the meter work out if you will be better off or not. So hide the hose and be careful what you sign

1 use an automatic watering device (such as a garden sprinkler);
2 automatically fill a swimming pool;
3 have a power shower or extra large bath;
4 use a reverse osmosis water softening unit;
5 are the new occupier of a property and have not yet been sent an
unmetered bill.
6 live in a water stressed area where the Government has allowed compulsory
metering as part of a plan to maintain secure water supplies.
Advice given is not legally qualified and you are advised to gain a professional opinion
ukmicky

Postby pilman » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:57 am

I can no longer remember the time when I lived in a house that did not have a water meter.
It had to be prior to 1974 which is when I first lived in a newly built house.

As far as my personal experience goes there is no down side to having a meter installed when it is a free of charge option provided by the water company.

When I started building houses there was always a water meter in the pavement outside each plot, because we had to lay the new underground pipe to the edge of the plot ready for the water company to connect to the mains supply via a meter.
That was in addition to having to have a gas and electricity meter located on the external wall of a new house with the pipes for those services also terminating at the edge of the plot ready for the connections to be made to the nearest mains supply.

The only time I took advantage of an offer to install a meter was when I realised that it was an advantage for my son living in a maisonette to actually pay for the water used rather than the system of paying based on the rateable value.
There was an immediate reduction in the cost of the water per quarter after the meter became operable, which was a huge improvement on the bills that my son received previously.

The initial posting refers to privacy, but a water meter located in the pavement outside the house plot has no impact on the people living in the house, but it will save money when only two people live in the house.
pilman

Postby Collaborate » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:06 am

There are 4 of us in our house, and the metered cost is half of what we would be paying had we kept with the unmetered supply we inherited when we moved in 7 years ago.

It's a no-brainer.
Collaborate

Postby thin and crispy » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:00 pm

SwitchRich referred to it being a smart meter, hence the privacy concerns. I have to say that I won't have any kind of smart meter in the house for exactly that reason, despite British Gas pursuing me relentlessly for the last few years.

I have worked in IT for over 30 years and have at least a basic understanding of the value, and dangers, of networked systems and 'big data'.

It's true that the energy industry will save money by making meter readers redundant, but that's not the full story; and it's ludicrous to suggest these smart meters will make any lasting change to the amount of energy consumers use.

So why has the industry spent millions on this programme and on all those TV ads trying to encourage people to have smart meters installed? It couldn't be anything do with a grand scheme for them to regulate energy 'demand' by switching off our appliances remotely I suppose: Hive, Nest, iKettles, iBulbs, iFridges...etc. And surely it's got nothing to do the immense value that our day-to-day living data has to all kinds of multinationals. (That's before you even start to think about issues like criminal and state hacking.)

Still, at least we have the option not to be encumbered by these devices - for the moment anyway. Unfortunately, we longer have that choice with the now mandatory e-call system on new cars ("We won't turn the microphone on remotely, record your journeys or monitor your driving habits. And we won't use it for congestion charging, or to fine you for speeding, or to deny your insurance claim because you were doing 31 in a 30 zone. Honest Guv. You can trust us!").

Sorry for the rant-like diversion, but you'll probably get the point that as far as smart meters are concerned (water or otherwise), I'd rather not contribute to the big-data / internet-of-things revolution, even if it might save me a few quid in the short term. I'd prefer peace of mind and privacy. (And yes I do put sticky tape over my webcams - although I don't wear a bacofoil hat.)
Prejudice, not being founded on reason, cannot be removed by argument. Samuel Johnson.
thin and crispy

Postby despair » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:36 pm

Ditto ditto ditto
despair

Postby jdfi » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:13 pm

I thought the only 'smartness' with water meters was that they could be read from a few feet away via Bluetooth?

I don't believe they have a data connection like your electric smart meters have. Or am I wrong?
jdfi

Postby thin and crispy » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:16 pm

On the subject of smart meters in general, this is what they are intended for: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40699986

Reading the article, it sounds almost reasonable on the face of it, but that's the purpose of the article, of course. In reality, I suspect it will just be the thin end of the wedge. How long before having your freezer switched off "for a few minutes" becomes having amp-hungry devices like kettles and vacuum cleaners disabled at peak times? Or having your washing machine's spin cycle postponed until midnight? Or having your heating turned down in the middle of winter - unless, of course, you've supplied the energy companies with all sorts of personal data to register as a "vulnerable person" (the government and big business aren't inhuman, are they?).

Aside from the inevitable function creep, I've no doubt that the ability to micro-manage consumers (which smart meters and home automation will bring) will only allow the industry to underinvest even more deeply in the country's energy-generation infrastructure.

I can't help but wonder how much of the headline "£40 billion" saving the consumer will see. I imagine it will actually end up costing us more; much more - in terms of money, privacy and freedom. And how long before they introduce two-tier energy-supply tariffs whereby those who can afford to pay more are allowed to operate their appliances without interference? Or without having their data harvested by the multi-nationals?

Smart meters, smart homes, smart phones, smart appliances, smart watches... I think a good rule-of-thumb is: if it's got "smart" in the name, avoid it. Except Smarties of course: I can eat 12 tubes a day.
Prejudice, not being founded on reason, cannot be removed by argument. Samuel Johnson.
thin and crispy

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Return to General Topics