Is a Gravelled parking area classed as PD

This forum is for Garden Law problems that don't fit into the other categories. Please treat it with respect.

Moderator: Angelisle

Is a Gravelled parking area classed as PD

Postby stressederic » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:37 pm

Hi,
I have some land which sits forward of my principle elevation (not sure if its inside or outside of my curtilage). We use this land as an extended garden eg the kids play on it, there is a trampoline, a veg patch and we also have some chickens within an enclosed area on this land. I guess you could say its use is undefined/unregistered. im not a lawyer so not sure of the technical lingo for it.

If i want to create a parking area next to the access point to this land out of gravel and not concrete and approx 10mx8m in size can I do this without needing planning permission?

Thanks in advance.
stressederic

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Is a Gravelled parking area classed as PD

Postby MacadamB53 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:42 pm

stressederic wrote:Hi,
I have some land which sits forward of my principle elevation (not sure if its inside or outside of my curtilage). We use this land as an extended garden eg the kids play on it, there is a trampoline, a veg patch and we also have some chickens within an enclosed area on this land. I guess you could say its use is undefined/unregistered. im not a lawyer so not sure of the technical lingo for it.

If i want to create a parking area next to the access point to this land out of gravel and not concrete and approx 10mx8m in size can I do this without needing planning permission?

Thanks in advance.
10mx8m is a rather large parking space - what on earth are you driving? :)
you don't need planning permission to replace a few inches of earth with gravel.
do you have vehicular access from the highway - a dropped kerb?

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Postby stressederic » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:35 pm

Its to be able to park my 4x4 on and visitors cars on and have the ability to turn around on it as we're limited on parking space. Also, it will be useful 'hard standing' area...so not wading in mud in the winter months.

No need for drop kerb. The access is from shared driveway and across a grass verge of which i have a right of way.

Are there any benefits to registering/denoting this land as agricultural or residential use...are there pros and cons to both? Does obtaining a CPH number help with anything in anyway with regard to land? How do i go about registering its use?

Thanks.
stressederic

Postby MacadamB53 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:58 pm

Hi stressederic,

this is not a planning issue so don't overthink it.

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Postby stressederic » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:05 pm

MacadamB53 wrote:Hi stressederic,

Kind regards, Mac

Yeah i know...but its got me thinking... if further down the line i want to put a wooden garden shed on this land...which is fwd of my principle elevation...so as bonkers as it is, i need planning permission for a garden shed. So if registered as agricultural or if i have a CPH number etc (given i have chickens) will this mean i can put a garden shed there without planning permission?
stressederic

Postby MacadamB53 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:04 pm

stressederic wrote:
MacadamB53 wrote:Hi stressederic,

Kind regards, Mac

Yeah i know...but its got me thinking... if further down the line i want to put a wooden garden shed on this land...which is fwd of my principle elevation...so as bonkers as it is, i need planning permission for a garden shed. So if registered as agricultural or if i have a CPH number etc (given i have chickens) will this mean i can put a garden shed there without planning permission?
no - without planning permission you can't build a shed there regardless of having chickens or that you've had it "registered as agricultural" (not possibly btw).

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Return to General Topics