Parking agreement

This forum is for Garden Law problems that don't fit into the other categories. Please treat it with respect.

Moderator: Angelisle

Parking agreement

Postby akershaw » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:40 pm

I rent out a house at the end of a row of three. At the other end of the row I own a piece of garden below road level with a square pot & beam concrete platform at road level where the end house used to be before being demolished over 50 years ago. I use the covered area under the platform to store tools and other things. The people in the two properties between this area and the house I rent out wanted to park one car each on this platform and keep their bins there. I typed up a brief 'parking agreement', both parties signed a copy and pay a small monthly fee. Is this sufficient or do I need something more robust drawn up by a solicitor, if so, what would the document be called? I have an absolute title with the Land Registry specifically for this square patch of land.

Thank you
Andrea
akershaw

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Parking agreement

Postby MacadamB53 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:29 pm

Hi Andrea,

Is this sufficient or do I need something more robust drawn up by a solicitor

is what? I can't see the content of what you're referring to so how could I give you an informed answer?

in your shoes I'd ask to speak to a sols for 1/2 hour for free and take a copy of the agreement with me.

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Postby mugwump » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:40 pm

Do you have any evidence that the platform is capable of taking the weight? For two vehicles you are talking about 2 tonnes plus.

Was the platform, the posts and their foundations built to take that weight? As owner you could well be liable if anything happens
mugwump

Postby ukmicky » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:32 am

A licence can be verbal or written. Both have dangers because granting a verbal license leaves you with no evidence use was with permission allowing possible future claim for a prescriptive or implied easement and a written licence if not worded correctly could allow the licensee to argue that a lease was granted not a license. A sensible person will get it drafted by a solicitor .

It needs a term that specifies the licence can be revoked at will for no reason and without notice

Is not transferable and is for the benefit of the named parties only.

It cannot also under any circumstances provide them with anything that implies exclusive use ,in other words you must retain a right to occupy the area without notice whenever you see fit without the need to end the licence..
Advice given is not legally qualified and you are advised to gain a professional opinion
ukmicky

Postby akershaw » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:38 pm

Thank you for the quick responses which are very useful, particularly the explanation of clauses which need to be included in a licence.
akershaw

Return to General Topics