An update on my own case

This forum is for Garden Law problems that don't fit into the other categories. Please treat it with respect.

Moderator: Angelisle

An update on my own case

Postby Roblewis » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:50 pm

Some of you may remember my own case where my vendors did not honestly answer the SPIF questions particularly they had caused a long running boundary dispute with the neighbour. This issue went to court and was settled in favour of the neighbour. The arguments did not however cease. We were not informed of this on purchase in 2009. We found out six months later, and our vendors did not deny what they had done but simply refused to take responsibility for having done so. We were fortunate to get a contingency fee agreement and spent 4 years to get a court judgement and a further year to get the court to set damages and costs. One of the vendors declared themselves bankrupt, the second emigrated to Australia. This week we have been awarded a possession order for the third vendors house/home. Initially damages were set at £33,900 plus £115,000 costs. At standard 10% interest the figures are now around 44K and 142k.

There are many lessons here
1) Even cast iron cases can be expensive
2) Without a fee arrangement or insurance costs are very high
3) False answers to the SPIF are costly
4) The Ministry of Justice has replied to a query stating that even domestic house sales involving misrepresentation are subject potentially to the Fraud Act 2006.
Roblewis

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: An update on my own case

Postby arborlad » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:56 pm

I think you should post this here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=14906
arborlad

smile...it confuses people
arborlad

Postby Roblewis » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:01 pm

How did you find it? - I spent an hour looking :oops:
Roblewis

Postby arborlad » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:10 pm

Roblewis wrote:How did you find it? - I spent an hour looking :oops:

search.php?author_id=15971&sr=posts
arborlad

smile...it confuses people
arborlad

Postby ukmicky » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:36 pm

Roblewis wrote:Some of you may remember my own case where my vendors did not honestly answer the SPIF questions particularly they had caused a long running boundary dispute with the neighbour. This issue went to court and was settled in favour of the neighbour. The arguments did not however cease. We were not informed of this on purchase in 2009. We found out six months later, and our vendors did not deny what they had done but simply refused to take responsibility for having done so. We were fortunate to get a contingency fee agreement and spent 4 years to get a court judgement and a further year to get the court to set damages and costs. One of the vendors declared themselves bankrupt, the second emigrated to Australia. This week we have been awarded a possession order for the third vendors house/home. Initially damages were set at £33,900 plus £115,000 costs. At standard 10% interest the figures are now around 44K and 142k.

There are many lessons here
1) Even cast iron cases can be expensive
2) Without a fee arrangement or insurance costs are very high
3) False answers to the SPIF are costly
4) The Ministry of Justice has replied to a query stating that even domestic house sales involving misrepresentation are subject potentially to the Fraud Act 2006.

5) Don't mess with Roblewis
Advice given is not legally qualified and you are advised to gain a professional opinion
ukmicky

Postby Roblewis » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:04 pm

She who must be obeyed is even more fearsome :D
Roblewis

Return to General Topics