Septic tank/drain runoff help needed.

This forum is for Garden Law problems that don't fit into the other categories. Please treat it with respect.

Moderator: Angelisle

Septic tank/drain runoff help needed.

Postby Pascal » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:44 pm

Scotland: Hopefully someone can help/advise on the following;
Out septic tank drain runoff goes from our septic tank across, ‘common grazings’ land onto another person’s land. This, ‘other’ person says that the soakaway is on his land (which it is) and there is an effluent pool. He claims that we are totally responsible for, ‘fixing it’.
We have checked this out and there is a very, ‘boggy’ area.
This person has planning permission (since 2007) for a house to be built. No work has started on the new house – as yet.

This soakaway has been present for nearly 60 years without anyone raising any issues.
Are we responsible for, ‘fixing it’?
Any help would be most appreciated.
Pascal

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Septic tank/drain runoff help needed.

Postby mr sheen » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:50 pm

What makes you think you aren't responsible for problems with your effluent?
mr sheen

Postby ukmicky » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:36 pm

mr sheen wrote:What makes you think you aren't responsible for problems with your effluent?

That's all that needs to be said.
Advice given is not legally qualified and you are advised to gain a professional opinion
ukmicky

Postby jonahinoz » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:15 am

What makes you think you aren't responsible for problems with your effluent

Hi,

I might be wrong, but I thought that septic tanks did not discharge "effluent". I'd guess that it would be illegal to do so. ??? My place in France had a "fosse septique" from which liquid was pumped to a system of perforated pipes buried in the garden ... uphill the house. "Supply and fit" cost us between €4,000 and €5,000. It involve an elderly female neighbour looking down into the hole excavated for the tank, and saying something rude in French.

Not that I like the relevant law, but surely Pascal's house has acquired an easement to discharge "not effluent" onto his neighbours land.
It is possible that somebody paid for the right to do so? Possibly both properties were in the same ownership at the same time?

I believe, on the other hand, the LA can demand that foul water must be discharged into a pubic sewer if there is such a sewer available. ???

John W
jonahinoz

Return to General Topics