Neighbour audio recording

This forum is for Garden Law problems that don't fit into the other categories. Please treat it with respect.

Moderator: Angelisle

Neighbour audio recording

Postby stressederic » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:51 pm

Hi All,

I have a new situation with my insane next door neighbour with whom we have a very hostile relationship (not my wanting i must add).

They have erected a CCTV camera on a pole with an audio recording device attached, on the boundary (fence line) of my garden and their garden. It is located next to my gate, so will pickup all my comings and goings too. The pole is 2 meters above the 2 meter high fence.

The camera is not pointing directly in to my garden...it maybe picks a little of my garden up...this im not too fussed about. It does pickup me coming an going, however when I leave my land, i step out on to my neighbours land where I have a ROW.

I am livid about the audio recording and my wife is very upset by this. It will pickup any conversations we have in our garden. I don not give permission for this and 2ndly any private conversations I have could be used against me by neighbour, especially given their previous behaviour.

The installers of the CCTV system told me about the audio recording devices!..they themselves even said its ridiculous. They also stated the reason my neighbour has put this in place is to gather any evidence possible to give to the Police / Solicitiors. However, i do not think they would be willing to confess this. I wouldn't like to ask them either (not at this juncture anyway)

Im not sure if this is a civil case, a criminal case or both. I say its harassment. I understand in a public place it may be 'ok' to do this, but given the siting of the camera/audio recorder, it is obviously there to pickup any conversations I have and no one else.

Do you guys know what i should do/can do to get this removed? I have even thought about calling 101...as well as thinking about speaking to my LEI and look to have an injunction to have at least the audio recorder removed...however, it is erected on my neighbours land.

So im at a bit of loss what to do right now, other than get my angle grinder out!

Thanks in advance.
stressederic

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Neighbour audio recording

Postby ukmicky » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:11 am

Its not illegal to record sound from your garden.
Advice given is not legally qualified and you are advised to gain a professional opinion
ukmicky

Postby stufe35 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:09 am

Make up some great yarns for him to waste his time listening to.

If you are out in your garden place a radio near/ pointing at it so that is all he will hear.
Last edited by stufe35 on Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
stufe35

Postby copperman » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:10 am

Hi,

Get yourself a wireless Bluetooth speaker, mount it on a pole as close as possible to the listening device then install a white noise generator app on your phone and turn it on whenever convenient. You don't have to have the volume up very high since you said the audio device was sensitive.

It will make the audio recording useless.
copperman

Postby stressederic » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:35 am

Surely its harassment? Given their previous behaviour (which has resulted in a restraining order on said neighbour) it is clear beyond all reasonable doubt its there to record me.
Why else would they have put an audio recording device in a location that will only record audio coming from my garden?

I guess an admission to the Police by the installer would be the best evidence.

White noise generator does sound fun though...only problem I have is that i have no electricity supply in that area and would need to dig a 6m trench from house to location of camera (obviously trench would only be dug on my land). Are there any solar white noise generators?

cheers.
stressederic

Postby arborlad » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:34 am

stressederic wrote:Surely its harassment? Given their previous behaviour (which has resulted in a restraining order on said neighbour) it is clear beyond all reasonable doubt its there to record me.
Why else would they have put an audio recording device in a location that will only record audio coming from my garden?

White noise generator does sound fun though...only problem I have is that i have no electricity supply in that area and would need to dig a 6m trench from house to location of camera (obviously trench would only be dug on my land). Are there any solar white noise generators?

cheers.

When did that happen?...............you should update your other thread to that effect.
arborlad

smile...it confuses people
arborlad

Postby copperman » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:54 am

You should be able to pick up a battery operated wireless speaker for less than 20 pounds. A weather proof one is likely to be a touch more expensive. Provided that you have a smart phone the app itself is free.

No need for any digging. Just find a pole and off you go.
copperman

Postby stressederic » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:40 pm

arborlad wrote:
stressederic wrote:Surely its harassment? Given their previous behaviour (which has resulted in a restraining order on said neighbour) it is clear beyond all reasonable doubt its there to record me.

cheers.

When did that happen?...............you should update your other thread to that effect.

Several months ago. I didn't think it would make any difference to my other thread...but will certainly mention it if you think it worthwhile.
stressederic

Postby stressederic » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:42 pm

copperman wrote:

You should be able to pick up a battery operated wireless speaker for less than 20 pounds. A weather proof one is likely to be a touch more expensive. Provided that you have a smart phone the app itself is free.

No need for any digging. Just find a pole and off you go.

how about something like this, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Waterproof-Ou ... 2327017736

and place it inside of a bird box next to the camera?

be better if could find something that just omitted white noise without need to pair with an app so the white noise is constantly on.
stressederic

Postby Eliza » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:28 pm

Placing the white noise generator inside a bird box (or possibly one of those bee box things that are popular now - hollowed out of the tubes for bees) would likely mean he wouldnt be able to figure out why his audio recording wouldnt work. That could work to your advantage - as he sends one back for a replacement, then the replacement back for another replacement and so on and so on - until he has to get a refund on it and forget the whole idea of recording you.
Apologies for not giving exact personal details in my posts - you never know who is reading....
Eliza

Postby jonahinoz » Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:11 pm

Hi,

Why white noise? Why not something interesting that will keep him enthralled for hours? I can't think what. ???

Or a recording from police band radio, make him think he is picking up the police looking for illegal recorders?

John W
jonahinoz

Postby SwitchRich » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:29 pm

Any chance of a picture of this pole?
Goes without saying you should NOT be getting the angle grinder out :)
SwitchRich

Postby thin and crispy » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:56 pm

If your neighbour is using CCTV to record images of your land (even if it's just a sliver), or potentially capturing audio that doesn't originate on his land, he is subject to the Data Protection Act and must register with the ICO (currently £35 a year). He must also provide you with any recordings he has made, although you may have to pay him a fee (typically ten pounds) and specify the date / time period in which you think your information or image may have been recorded.

This provision used to apply only to businesses using CCTV, but for the last couple of years, private residences with CCTV have also been subject to the Act.
The ICO says that all recordings must be proportionate and steps should be taken to minimise unnecessary recording of other people's personal data (e.g. their images, times when they come and go etc.). They take a particularly dim view of audio recording; and anyone recording conversations must have a very good justification for doing so.

This may not offer you much in the way of a practical solution, but it could be useful background if you need to complain to the police about harassment. I think you might be able to find out whether he is registered with the ICO by going to their web site. I can't remember the URL off hand, but you should be able to find it via Google etc.).

Don't be surprised if the police's opinion of CCTV recording is slightly at odds with the Data Protection Act. I've been approached several times by the police who wanted to view my footage when neighbours have had their cars broken into, and one one occasion when a youngster nearly killed himself by jumping on (and then falling off) the back of a camper van as it was moving past my house. The police have been quite disappointed to find my cameras don't have audio and don't cover as much of the public highway as they would have liked - even though that's how the ICO says my cameras should be configured. I guess they each have different priorities.
Prejudice, not being founded on reason, cannot be removed by argument. Samuel Johnson.
thin and crispy

Postby mr sheen » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:55 pm

Perhaps you need to let contributors know who put up CCTV first......

Why no mention of the CCTV complaint about you by neighbour's solicitor?

please help....my neighbour is recording me what can I do to get it removed?
There should only be me that can record neighbours with CCTV
mr sheen

Postby despair » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:52 pm

I would simply ensure that all conversations within earshot of that camera are absolute garbage ..just tie the idiot up in knots listening to nonsense
despair

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Next

Return to General Topics