New next door neighbour

This forum is for Garden Law problems that don't fit into the other categories. Please treat it with respect.

Moderator: Angelisle

New next door neighbour

Postby Janieb » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:54 pm

I never in my life ever envisaged being in such pain just breathing. My new (8 months) neighbours are doing major renovations to their house. The terrace is about 250 years old. As far as I can see they've had all the plaster removed from the walls in their front room and the workmen are doing something to the brick walls. The window has been left open all through the week. Despite me keeping my doors and windows shut, I'm not able to breath properly. My lungs feel as if they're on fire and I squeak when I exhale. I'm the only neighbour that is home during the day. I'm semi retired and work from home.

I've been friends with the husband for about 14 years as we worked for the same company and used to car share. I've tried talking but can't get their attention nor am I getting any response to my emails.

This can't be right. What recourse do I have?
"I prefer rogues to imbeciles, because they sometimes take a rest" Alexandre Dumas (fils)
Janieb

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: New next door neighbour

Postby despair » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:21 am

Contact building regs officer at your local council
Environmental health officer too

Can you go and stay with someone else for a while
despair

Postby ukmicky » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:05 am

Go see your doctor ,you may have COPD or Asthma
Advice given is not legally qualified and you are advised to gain a professional opinion
ukmicky

Postby Janieb » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:21 pm

Saw the doctor this morning and it is the brick dust. He's said that it is just an irritant and will go away and that I need to drink plenty of liquids.

I was actually supposed to be away on holiday but had been discouraged from doing so by my children, so I've put it off until next spring.

The neighbours have now apologised but the workmen will be back tomorrow! They've been told to keep the windows shut.
"I prefer rogues to imbeciles, because they sometimes take a rest" Alexandre Dumas (fils)
Janieb

Postby mr sheen » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:09 pm

The neighbours have a right to renovate their property, just as you have with yours.
It is unfortunate that you have poor health but that is not the neighbours fault or their responsibility.
If your environment doesn't suit your needs, including health needs, then you need to get into a different environment
mr sheen

Postby despair » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:44 pm

Hang on

The neighbours might have a right to renovate

But they have zero right to affect the health of a neighbour
despair

Postby mr sheen » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:07 pm

despair wrote:Hang on

The neighbours might have a right to renovate

But they have zero right to affect the health of a neighbour

What do you propose? A lawsuit with proof of specific diagnosis with scientific proof of direct causation and corresponding losses.....good luck with that one!
mr sheen

Postby despair » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:53 pm

Wheres Environmental Health Dept and building regs in all of this
despair

Postby Roblewis » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:50 pm

I would contact your EHO tomorrow and discuss the matter. There are potential criminal offences for the release of dust into the atmosphere that then travels off site.
Roblewis

Postby Janieb » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:15 am

I think Mr Sheen got out of the wrong side of the bed. :roll: . The workmen are back but are containing the dust and I'm spending the rest of this week babysitting my granddaughter.
Janieb

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Return to General Topics