Neighbour's soil pressed against my house

This forum is for Garden Law problems that don't fit into the other categories. Please treat it with respect.

Moderator: Angelisle

Neighbour's soil pressed against my house

Postby HamishF » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:39 pm

Hi everyone

It has been suggested I post this on the General forum by another member to give me a better chance of a reply as the Walls forum effort wasn't successful.

I'll try my best to explain the layout of the properties first. I own a mid terrace with an end terrace either side. Directly behind the terrace is a cottage. The cottage is on higher ground and the soil from the garden runs straight into the back of the three terraced properties. I'd estimate the soil is 1 - 1.5m at it's highest point. The property is in Scotland as I know legislation and such like can differ. I have had sight of the wall structure. Viewing from the inside of the home its layered: plasterboard, polystyrene insolation, timber frame, thick concrete skin from the ground to the ceiling and I can see the black damp proof coursework poking out of the bottom.

When I bought the property a recent planning application had been withdrawn for an extension to the cottage. When I introduced myself to the neighbour I was informed the application was withdrawn but was passed permitted development. The cottage owner works in the planning department for the local authority and had a word with a colleague who told him how to adjust his plans so it didn't need planning permission! This is a separate worry for now...

Anyway, the main concerns I have are:

1. My neighbour's soil is pressed against my property and the external rendering looks worn and damaged - what can I do?
2. The extension will create downward pressure and this might cause damage to the wall of my home (??) - what can I do?

I'm a layman for sure and I'd appreciate any help or guidance.

Thanks to anyone who replies.
HamishF

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Return to General Topics