Advice please

This forum is for Garden Law problems that don't fit into the other categories. Please treat it with respect.

Moderator: Angelisle

Advice please

Postby fedup24 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:43 am

We had to install cctv cameras as we have had and are still having trouble with our next door neighbours, they have verbally assaulted us and physically assaulted us over the last 5 years. A couple of months ago the women there verbally assaulted me again and I have had enough so I asked my husband if we could put cameras up. Where we are there is a large green council open space area in front of 4 houses and at the bottom of this area there is a council car park therefore once you park your car you have to walk on the footpath right down past the green area to get back to your house. We positioned one of our cameras to look down towards the car park so we can keep an eye on our car when its parked and make sure its safe and the camera also catches in the top of my side hedge which is about 7ft high but the neighbour has been threatening to cut it down. Because the camera faces this way it catches a small part of the neighbours front garden, would this be ok having the camera like this as its not pointing directly at their house but towards the car park. Any help much appreciated.

I have contacted the ICO and the police and explained the situation to them and they have both said its ok as long as its not pointing directly at their house which it isn't. So seeing we have had the ok from the ICO and the police would this stand if our neighbour complained about it?
fedup24

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Advice please

Postby MacadamB53 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:56 am

Hi fedup24,

would this stand if our neighbour complained about it?

complained to who?

kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Postby fedup24 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:05 am

Hi Mac, if he complained about us having a camera pointing this way to the police or a solicitor maybe is it something he could take further?

Regards
fedup24
fedup24

Postby mr sheen » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:02 pm

Have the police carried out a survey of your CCTV coverage? Were the police you spoke to lawyers?.....did you get their advice/opinion in writing? ......no ...thought not....then they can't tell you whether or not your actions will be free from complaint or legal action

.CCTV covering your own property is usually fine but only a court can decide if your excuses to watch other people on public or private land amounts to harassment or opens you up to other civil or criminal action

Beware of your neighbours making malicious complaints if they want to get to you.....you may have 'innocent' or in your mind 'justifiable' reasons for having CCTV covering land you don't own but people can make these sort of actions sound positively dodgy.....only you can decide what risks you want to take.
mr sheen

Postby despair » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:23 pm

I would hope that given you now have CCTV your unpleasant neighbours will think twice before they repeat their behaviour
Usually once neighbours know they have been rumbled and you have proof of their bullying behaviour they will have a go at someone else

Try not to worry that your camera picks up a smidgeon of their garden
despair

Return to General Topics