Extension over mains water pipe.

This forum is for Garden Law problems that don't fit into the other categories. Please treat it with respect.

Moderator: Angelisle

Extension over mains water pipe.

Postby Prof Plum » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:16 pm

I’m currently planning an extension to the rear of the property and have an issue with a mains water supply pipe that runs through the garden. It runs parallel to the row of houses on my street and supplies them all. It was put in during the 1930s when they didn’t necessarily run the mains along the road to the front.
The water board will want me to reroute the pipe rather than build over it but I suspect that this will cost a fortune. They also stipulate moving it to a 3m distance from the works which would involve digging up neighbours’ gardens too. Out of the question really.
The pipe has been there for 80 years and may well be there for another 80 with no problems occurring. Does anyone know the legal implications of building over it and will it pass building regs if bridged over correctly. Also, will this affect the ability to mortgage the property for a future purchaser.
Any advice appreciated.
Prof Plum

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Extension over mains water pipe.

Postby Primed101 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:00 pm

Hi

We recently completed an extension. Since we have a detached house, we moved our drain to the side of the house and had to submit drawings for the 'build over'.

There was no stipulation that it had to be 3m away from the side or anything like that.

On a commercial project I did, where there was no chance to move the drain, they did a CCTV analysis of the drain pipes before and after the works (which we had to pay for). All they told us there, was that we needed to have access to the drain should ever we need to unblock it etc, which we did.

I would imagine building over drains is fairy common and as long as you leave access, I cannot imagine that there would be any issues with regard to resale price or mortgage.

Primed
Primed101

Postby mr sheen » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:32 am

It is the duty of the utilities companies to protect public supplies so if they demand terms those terms will need to be complied with.

Imagine the costs you will have if you build over it and you get a water pipe burst or similar....all would need to be dug up under your extension all flooding costs will be your liability in your and neighbours houses, all at your expense...now ...that is what you call a fortune!

If your property no longer meets your needs and the cost of carrying out preparation works for an extension makes an extension unrealistic.....you could always move to a bigger property and under your circumstances may cost less.
mr sheen

Postby arborlad » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:29 pm

Prof Plum wrote:I’m currently planning an extension to the rear of the property and have an issue with a mains water supply pipe that runs through the garden. It runs parallel to the row of houses on my street and supplies them all. It was put in during the 1930s when they didn’t necessarily run the mains along the road to the front.
The water board will want me to reroute the pipe rather than build over it but I suspect that this will cost a fortune. They also stipulate moving it to a 3m distance from the works which would involve digging up neighbours’ gardens too. Out of the question really.
The pipe has been there for 80 years and may well be there for another 80 with no problems occurring. Does anyone know the legal implications of building over it and will it pass building regs if bridged over correctly. Also, will this affect the ability to mortgage the property for a future purchaser.
Any advice appreciated.

How many houses in the row, have any got rear extensions?
arborlad

smile...it confuses people
arborlad

Postby ukmicky » Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:47 pm

Your best bet is to re-route .

Even a small leak that goes unnoticed for a few months will put so much moisture into the soil that any building above will potentially become uninhabitable for months. If you were to see the damage a burst unground pipe close to or under a house can do to the interior of a house you would not even consider building over it as an option.
Advice given is not legally qualified and you are advised to gain a professional opinion
ukmicky

Postby Prof Plum » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:25 am

arborlad wrote:
Prof Plum wrote:I’m currently planning an extension to the rear of the property and have an issue with a mains water supply pipe that runs through the garden. It runs parallel to the row of houses on my street and supplies them all. It was put in during the 1930s when they didn’t necessarily run the mains along the road to the front.
Any advice appreciated.

How many houses in the row, have any got rear extensions?

There are 20 semi-detatched houses. There is one consevatory over the mains water pipe and several garages, patios etc.
Prof Plum

Postby Hugh Jaleak » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:04 pm

Conservatories, garages etc are easier and cheaper to remove is need be to access the pipe. A habitable extension isn't. Drainage is a different ballgame, pipework is suitably protected, but even then, the Water Company can insist on a diversion if they deem it necessary.

A pipe of that age is likely to be coming towards the end of its useful life anyway, no-one can accurately say if it'll start leaking next week/next year/next decade/next century. Get it diverted and its peace of mind all round.
Hugh Jaleak

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Return to General Topics