Parking Problems Alternatives to Drop Kerb

This forum is for Garden Law problems that don't fit into the other categories. Please treat it with respect.

Moderator: Angelisle

Parking Problems Alternatives to Drop Kerb

Postby DIYBath » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:03 pm

I have awkward access to my drive, essentially its a corner plot of land the opposite kerb is rather close and I have to make a sharp right-hand turn to leave the property.

It was built it the early 70's when there were fewer cars on the road.

Now many of my neighbours park in front of the drive next to the opposite kerb, unfortunately, when they do this it's difficult to leave my property.

I have had to add in a temporary ramp to get off of my property without damaging my car.

Am looking for a permanent solution without paying for an expensive addition to my drop kerb.

I cannot talk to all of my neighbours about this matter and would prefer the council/highways to add in a marking to prevent parking opposite the drive.

Is this possible, who should I contact and what should I ask for?
DIYBath

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Parking Problems Alternatives to Drop Kerb

Postby MacadamB53 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:17 pm

Hi DIYBath,

yellow lines are added only after a Traffic Regulation Order has been made - good luck with that.

a white elongated ‘H’ marking can added at the discretion of the LA - but these can be ignored without consequence unless the area is covered by a TRO that prohibits it.

kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Postby DIYBath » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:32 pm

I would prefer something less serious so H markings would be ideal as a solution.

Except that it's my understanding that the H markings extend only as far as the drop kerb but that won't help stop the cars parking opposite.
DIYBath

Postby ukmicky » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:58 am

MacadamB53 wrote:Hi DIYBath,

yellow lines are added only after a Traffic Regulation Order has been made - good luck with that.

a white elongated ‘H’ marking can added at the discretion of the LA - but these can be ignored without consequence unless the area is covered by a TRO that prohibits it.

kind regards, Mac

Yes and No . Me and my neighbours have some lovely sets of yellow lines in front of our drives placed there courtesy of Croydon council without a TRO.

We believe it was done to try and win us over as they wanted to increase the size of the school at the end of the road and we were objecting due to the parents constantly blocking our drives.

Obviously none of us objected.
Advice given is not legally qualified and you are advised to gain a professional opinion
ukmicky

Postby Collaborate » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:58 am

There is still the offence of causing an obstruction.

This gives more info.

http://www.cabinet.leicester.gov.uk/doc ... Police.pdf
Collaborate

Postby DIYBath » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:29 pm

I think I will stick with the ramp and if I get complaints I can talk to the contact point about my options.

I don't want to have to shop all my neighbours to the police, there are approx 6 families involved.

Yes, yellow lines would be great but who would I talk to about that?
DIYBath

Postby despair » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:53 pm

Get your local councillor alongside and then they csn tackle thd police and TRO on an official footing
despair

Postby mugwump » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:08 pm

Or even stop you using your drive if they consider the exit onto the road is in a dangerous place.

Involving officialdom can work both ways and you may end up with a result which leaves you in a worse position.
mugwump

Postby Collaborate » Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:51 pm

mugwump wrote:Or even stop you using your drive if they consider the exit onto the road is in a dangerous place.

Involving officialdom can work both ways and you may end up with a result which leaves you in a worse position.

I'm not sure they can do that.
Collaborate

Postby DIYBath » Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:42 pm

despair wrote:Get your local councillor alongside and then they csn tackle thd police and TRO on an official footing

Interesting thought will bear this in mind.
DIYBath

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Return to General Topics