Front of house boundry hedge

Front of house boundry hedge

Postby speedtriple » Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:34 pm

I have a slight problem with a front hedge that divides my house from my neighbours house(both are detached properties). I maintain both the hedge top & my side, but unfortunatly my neighbour do not trim their side. The hedge was planted by by me on my side of the boundry, my concerns are; am I responsible for the maintenance of both sides & top of the hedge & would I be held responsible for any damage caused by my neighbour not trimming their side? Unfortunatly there is zero dialogue between us and them. The hedge is Laurel & approx 1.5 metres high. Any advice in this matter would be gratfully received.
speedtriple

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Front of house boundry hedge

Postby despair » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:03 pm

You are not legally required to trim his side
Its neighbourly to offer to trim the other side but if the neighbour refuses theres nothing you can do

What damage are you concerned about the hedge causing ?
despair

Postby speedtriple » Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:07 pm

Thanks for the advice, it,s much appreciated. The worry for me is that the hedge is spreading its branches widthwise on my neighbours side and will eventually block out their dining room window & may cause damage to their window frame etc. Unfortunatly these are not very pleasent folk, so prewarned is prearmed as they say!!! The neighbour on the otherside has simular concerns as mine. This a very quite rural setting, but unfortunatly these people dont give 2 hoots to anyone, they are very noisy and beligerant scum & they do no care about their house one little bit..
speedtriple

Postby despair » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:30 am

They dont care about their house so you need not either

If they dont cut it back its their problem
despair

Postby Treeman » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:16 am

despair wrote:They dont care about their house so you need not either

If they dont cut it back its their problem

Well that’s not strictly true is it?

You need to care about their property in as far as your duty of care to others and if the overhang causes damage it becomes an actionable nuisance which is your problem.
Treeman

Postby despair » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:19 am

If the neighbours refuse to let you cut back their side theres little you can do though
despair

Postby Treeman » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:24 am

despair wrote:If the neighbours refuse to let you cut back their side theres little you can do though

They haven’t refused though have they?
Treeman

Postby despair » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:22 am

"theres zero dialogue between us"

"these are not pleasant folk"

Is it any wonder no one has asked let alone refused
despair

Postby Treeman » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:25 pm

despair wrote:"theres zero dialogue between us"

"these are not pleasant folk"

Is it any wonder no one has asked let alone refused

Whatever..........
Treeman

Postby Sudynim » Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:18 pm

Treeman wrote:You need to care about their property in as far as your duty of care to others and if the overhang causes damage it becomes an actionable nuisance which is your problem.

I would be surprised if any actionable cause arose from trespassing foliage. The law seems quite settled on that matter - that it is for the other party to cut it back, or accept it, as they choose.

Can you quote an example or two where the owner of an overhanging shrub or hedge has been held liable?
Sudynim

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Return to Hedges