Squatter/Homeless Person in garden

Landlords and tenants can share their problems and give each other mutual support

Squatter/Homeless Person in garden

Postby TapcoUK » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:04 pm

Hello everyone I signed up as I have a unique problem I can't seem to find an answer for on the internet or searching through this board!

Basically I am moving to a new area for a job, i have paid my application fee's on a house only to find my application has been delayed as the neighbours have reported that someone is living in the garden of the property in a "tent". I have not been to see the extent of the problem but I am trying to organise a visit this Friday to try and gauge the situation (not easy it's a 4+ hour drive!)

My question is as this person is just living in the garden (the police have said no attempts have been made to open the UPVC doors/locks as far as they can see), do I have the same rights as a "protected intending occupier" because it is in the garden and not the house?

The agency wants me to move in with the man in the garden still, in the hopes he will move on when he sees the property is being lived in again. This is incredibly risky as far as I'm concerned as I have a lot of expensive equipment I will be moving into the house and not being able to use the garden for the entire 6 months lease (worst case scenario) would severely restrict my enjoyment of the house (I also smoke and hate smoking inside).

So any information you may have regarding this and the whole "protected intending occupier" and "displaced residential occupier" would be great, as the neither the letting agent, the landlord or the police seem to know what should be done!

Thanks in advance!
TapcoUK

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Squatter/Homeless Person in garden

Postby despair » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:07 pm

I would tell the Agency to get the squatter out PDQ or the deal is OFF and you want your fee back

I doubt the owner of the property will be too pleased either
despair

Postby TapcoUK » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:14 pm

well unfortunately there appears to be no way of removing him without use of force which could end up in me or the landlord gaining a criminal record!

I wouldn't even be considering moving in normally but it's the perfect house, in the perfect location and there is very little else in the area available, well there's plenty if you like mould growing on the walls!

The fee can be returned luckily that's not a problem as they got the phone call about the squatter hours before they were going to submit it to the reference agency!

The landlord has since said he has the legal right to clear his garden so if the squatter leaves during the day he will clear the garden out of his stuff, but knowing how desperate squatters/homeless people can be it will probably just end up back in the garden.

Funny thing is its across the street from the salvation army, aren't they meant to help these kinds of people? Maybe that's why he sleeps there first in line for soup!
TapcoUK

Postby Mattylad » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:03 am

Wait till he's going for his soup and bag his stuff up and shove it into a shopping trolley on the pavement.

Just remember though, he is homeless - a bad situation to be in.
treat his stuff with respect - its all he has.
Mattylad

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:02 am

You could try to help him find somewhere to go, I know not everyone wants help, but shelter would be the place to start.

I t must be awful being homeless. :( Not great for you either, but see if you can do something to help him on his way.
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby TapcoUK » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:30 am

Thanks for the replies, I understand what you are saying but I am more leaning to the idea of finding another house and leaving him be!

A lot of homeless people do have mental health and drug issues which can mean any number of unpredictable behaviours, I've had knives held to my throat before and it's not a nice feeling even worse if you think it might happen in your own garden. I don't wish to experience the same even if it is just a small risk, not being able to see and observe what he is doing is the worst part!

But seeing as a nicer house has just been found just a little further out of town, I think I shall go for that one as the stress of moving 300-400 or so miles on short notice (under two weeks) means my inner Samaritan has gone on holiday.

Will keep this updated if I do go and see the property.
TapcoUK

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:37 am

TapcoUK wrote:A lot of homeless people do have mental health and drug issues which can mean any number of unpredictable behaviours, I've had knives held to my throat before and it's not a nice feeling even worse if you think it might happen in your own garden.

Gulp!

I don't blame you for moving on to another property, it would worry me too.
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby appledore » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:35 pm

What an awful situation. I feel sorry for you and for the homeless person too. It must be awful to be homeless, doesn't bear thinking about. I think you've made the right decision to move to another property.
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:42 pm

On a lighter note...A nice heated shed could be built for the homeless man and he could pay rent by way of keeping the garden nice. :oops: :wink:
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby TapcoUK » Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:58 pm

I don't think he's the type to keep a garden nice considering the "waste" bucket and his collection of bath mats hanging all over the fences :shock: went to go see it today took a snap of the garden for you to look at.

I'm going elsewhere, he broke the lock on the gate to get in so much for the training the police received if they can't even spot something like that, if they even went to look at all!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TapcoUK

Postby Conveyancer » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:26 pm

TapcoUK wrote:I'm going elsewhere

A wise decision. No way you should you rent a property with that sort of problem.
If you have benefited from advice on this site please consider contributing to a cancer charity.
Conveyancer

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:05 pm

Oh hell, run! :lol:
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Return to Landlord and Tenant